2. dinner

─────────────────────────

I was awakened to the smell of bacon and batter, it was perfection. I roll over, patting the spot Ava laid and she is long gone. I rolled to the side of the king size bed in Henry's guest room, the yellow and pink hues through the girls belongings brightening up the mundane grey walls, I have to unpack our pictures to start getting those up around our little space. Honestly, Henry makes me feel like we're already burdening him.

I lean forward, letting out a stretch and a grunt while slip into the black bunny slippers Ava got me for mother's day this year. I'm an allowance mom because when our parents died, Henry and I learned, the hard way, what the real value of a dollar was. So, I started Ava on chores and allowance at 3 and she lives for it, saving up and buying things she wants. Her newest purchase? Black ballet slippers and a tutu for her new class.

Little does she know I found a ballet store around the corner and I'm taking her this week. I'm not the biggest fan of surprises, my daughter? Obsessed.

I tie my sloppy curls into a bun and make my way into the large minimal hallway. Henry's walls were mostly empty, I always pictured my home, if I had one, filled with photos and little items from trips and memories. I skip down the stairs and head for the insane black and cedar wood kitchen. The interior decorator of this place was really phenomenal, but Henry doesn't show too much beyond baseball within these walls. 

When I spot Ava, she is with Henry in the kitchen. They are listening to Sweet Caroline from Henry's large, black hanging bluetooth speaker. Ava sings into a wooden spoon standing on a large stool next to my brother. She smiles up, watching Henry sing with a towel over his shoulder flour covering his grey henley, and bacon in his tongs. The stack of waffles is comedic, there was two and a half of us.

"Well, this is a sight," I smile and make for the overpriced espresso machine.

"Unc and me made your favorites!" Ava crossed her arms and nodded her head to the beat. I nod my head, copying her, "well aren't you two sweet. Henry, you're game was one for the books. Ava, here, thinks she's your goodluck charm."

He nodded, "I think she is too. So, Ava Rae. What are you girls doing today?" I always love how he calls her that, I may have given her a middle name in respect to my brother.

Ava smiled and spoke singsong, "starting with a new therapist."
I nod, "therapy, enrolling in a ballet dance class around the corner, and grabbing groceries. So text me what you need," I point to him. "Oh, and can I enroll her at school with your address?" I give him a look resembling pleading and he took in a deep breath, "yeah that's fine, I guess." 

I let out a breath, its always the past bit, isn't it?

He nodded as we moved to sit down. We sat and ate waffles, bacon, and melon. I could tell Henry wanted to say something, fidgeting around in his seat, he always did have trouble delivering his truth. "That game was absolutely amazing Hen, we had alot of fun."