Contract

Ashley's pov

Ashley's pov

My mind was going a million miles an hour but it has suddenly gone completely blank. I stand at the doorway frozen in my place with everybody looking at me.  

"I-what?" That's all I could say. 

Harry walked over to me and put his hands on my cheeks. "Hey, you okay? You're  looking a little pale."

My brain seemed to have drifted off because I couldn't focus on a single thing he just said. "Hm? Oh, yeah, yeah. I'm good."

My mind finally seemed to catch up with what was going on in the room. "I'm sorry, did you just say you want me to join One Direction?"

Simon walked around to be in front of me so I could see him. "Yes, well it had been brought to my attention that Zayn would like to leave and we need a replacement. After hearing the voice recording of you singing in the shower that Harry showed us, we thought you would be a good fit."

I look over at Zayn to see if this is true. And sure enough, he nodded. "But-but I don't get it. The band just started to get famous and you wanna leave now?"

Zayn tucks in hands into his back pockets and shrugs. "I didn't think it would get this big."

"So that's it?" I start walking toward Zayn. "You start getting a little recognition for your talent and off you go?"

Harry puts his hand in front of me to stop me from getting any closer. "A.J, stop."

"Sorry, this is just a lot." Still keeping my eyes on Harry and the boys, I go and sit across the table from Simon. "What would happen if I did take Zayn's place?"

"I'm glad you asked," Simon reached under the next and grabbed a stack of papers, and placed them in front of her. "If you were to take Zayn's place as a member of One Direction, you would be signing a record deal with Syco Music until the end of 2015 where you will all receive one million pounds."

One million pounds. One million pounds. "One million pounds! That would cover my university debt! I'll do it." Before I knew it, I was signing the contract.

"That's just the thing, Ashley," Simon diverted his eyes away from me. "You wouldn't be able to go to university with the amount of work you'd be doing."

"I could make it work," my eyes switch to Harry. "I could make it work, right? Right, Harry?" My voice is filled with desperation now. Looking for someone to tell me the answer I wanted to hear. 

Niall walked into the room looking as confused as a teenager on their first day of high school. "Hey, sorry I had to-" Before Niall could finish his sentence, Louis, Liam, and Zayn pushed him back into the hallway closing the door behind them. "But I-"

I saw Louis, Liam, and Zayn talking to Niall. Probably filling him in on what had just happened. Niall looked back at me through the window with sad eyes. Harry stepped in front of my view, kneeling so we were face to face.