9: Diamond meeting

"Yes, I'm here," He spoke dryly and somewhat contemptuously, making you flinch. "Now what is it?" He looked completely disinterested in the three looming women like he had seen them one too many times today.

You looked at him in slight surprise. Never have you heard anyone speak out to large deities with such disrespect! You knew that if anything were to challenge someone- or something- of such a large scale, the repercussions would be devastating. These three could easily crush the two of you like ants!

Thankfully, however, the three giantesses didn't move from their seats. Instead, they showed their disapproval through unpleasant expressions on their faces. Particularly the yellow and white monarchs; the White Diamond's previously light-hearted expression fell into a look of what appeared to be disinterest. Though, you saw that her light, disappointed frown didn't quite reach her eyes which were as hard as flint.

Yellow's was much more prominent, as her lip was curled into a rather venomous grimace, with her hands gripping her armrests. Namely, her right hand clenched, and you could almost swear you saw the faintest of sparks crackling at her fist.

The blue diamond how, still had a rather placid expression, though there was a slightly displeased undertone in her visage. However, she looked more sad or disappointing than angry.

"Steven, we've been over this before."  The yellow Diamond reminded sternly. "You are to watch your tone when you're with us. You don't want another time-out do you?"

The prince suddenly paled for a moment, wincing at the elder diamond's words.

"Then remember your manners, starlight," White adds, her voice condescending and cold. "Don't forget you're still just as susceptible to consequences as she was."

You felt yourself shudder at the threat yourself. What consequences could they even think of?

And what poor soul experienced such consequences beforehand?

He was silent for a second before he grunted and lowered his head. "Y-Yeah. Right," he grumbled, crossing his arms, pointedly avoiding eye contact with her, as he finished with a quiet- "Sorry."

The White Diamond's patronizing smile returned, only now there was a smug satisfaction to it. "Good." She hummed as she leaned back into her throne. "You should know better by now, starshine. It's for your own good."

Steven growled under his breath, his face flushing in frustration. You couldn't help but shuffle uncomfortably. You haven't even been here for more than a few seconds and already the air was thick with tension. The pearls didn't fare well with this either; as they both had their worried gazes fixed to the ground, with their hands laced in front of them. They've experienced this before, but that didn't make things any less tense.

You were thankful when the blue diamond broke the tensed silence. "We just had a few things we'd like to discuss with you is all." Her voice was light and assuring with a faint Irish undertone in it. You had to admit it added a bit of charm to her. "Firstly, we want to know; did you receive the... siren? thing? We requested for you?" She said the two words slowly, unsure if she was saying them correctly.

Once Steven heard blue's voice, his face softened slightly. "Yeah. She's right here." He sighs, stepping to the side and motioning you to come forward. Swallowing a lump of anxiety, you cooperatively stepped forward until you stood next to the prince in full view. "Her name's (Name)."

Smiling sheepishly at the three giantesses before you, you did a polite little curtsy, and greet them with a friendly, if a little shaky voice. "I-It's a pleasure, miladies."

Yellow and white Diamond seemed perplexed at the sight of you, as they narrowed their eyes and furrowed their brows as if they were unsure if they were seeing you correctly.

However Blue diamond seemed to brighten up at the sight of you, her eyes showing a slight twinkle as she leaned forward a bit. "Oh my! How fascinating!" Her voice sounded rather excited as she looked you over. "This one's much different from the ones that human Connie described."

"Indeed..." white mumbled, her pupils visibly looking you up and down pensively. "It appears to be..." she hesitated like she was trying to search for the right word. "Mixed. With the two depictions that organic gave us." She finished, her voice was entirely void of any form of enthusiasm. She seemed disappointed, almost.

"Another hybrid," Yellow added. Her voice was leaning more towards curious, but she still seemed disturbed.

"Or we could say she's a fusion of the two depictions," Blue stated, giggling shortly after. You felt a smile brighten your face as you let out a small chuckle. It's good to know that these beings are at least capable of jokes. The two other diamonds didn't exactly seem impressed with the blue gem's humor, but it managed to make Steven crack a small smile. Even the pearls had stifled a light giggle themselves.

"Yes..." white narrowed her eyes at blue in disapproval, before letting out a long sigh. "Well, if it's to your fancy, then I suppose that's fine," White said, with a not-so-subtle roll of her eyes.

You shrank back a bit in hurt, which made Steven frown deeply. "She's not an it." He grumbled almost inaudibly.

"Does it sing well at least?" Yellow asked, her eyes still looking you up and down suspiciously. "Does it truly live up to that organic- er Connie's words?"

Steven straightened up, with a very faint glimmer in his eyes. "Indeed she does." He then turns to you and leans close to your ear. "Sing that one you sang when we first met."

"My Ancestors' call?"

"Yeah, that."

You nodded and took a few deep breaths to steady yourself. Last thing you wanted was to have your voice crack in front of these cosmic entities. After gathering your nerves, you rehearsed the song of your ancestors once again.

This may have been your second time singing this ancient tune, but even though you still sang it in still the pitch and tone, it sounded much more different now that you were in a bigger room; the echo was increased tenfold, making your voice seemingly fill the open space like water in a jug. And perhaps it was your subconscious, but you could almost feel a light warmth fill the room along with your voice.

After you finished, you reopened your eyes and were thankful to see that the diamonds were no longer tensed and stern, but were now leaned back in their thrones, with their eyes shut in a look of complete peace. The blue one, in particular, looked ready to fall asleep, with an especially goofy smile on her face. Upon realizing that you had finished singing, they blinked a few times, snapping out of their bliss.

"Wow..." Yellow uttered, almost dazed from the residual effects that still hung in the air.

"Incredible..." Blue murmured, still wearing a dopey smile on her face.

"Absolutely..." White concluded, crossing one leg over the other in a calm, relaxed manner. "I must admit little siren, certainly does have a lovely voice."

You smiled brightly and looked over at Steven, to which he returns the smile and nodded in approval. You then bowed your head towards white. "Thank you, mistress."

"Mistress?"

"It's a term we use towards superiors, milady." You explained, with slight haste. "Of course, I could always refer to you as something else if it's not to your liking, milady."

The three diamonds exchanged looks between each other. However, they now looked impressed, if not pleased with this.

"Pretty..." Blue mused smiling.

"...polite..." Yellow added, now with a faint smirk.

"...and humble." White finished, staring down at you, now with much less contempt.

"Yes, I do believe this siren with fit very well indeed.