13: Reality hits

You didn't quite know how long you sang for him. You've sung this particular song before, but for some reason, it felt like it was dragging on longer than usual. It was only when you let the song fade to a close, that you let out a huff, letting your voice rest.

"Was... was that a sufficient song for you, my Diamond?" You asked tentatively.

No reply.

It was only then that you realized just how quiet and still Steven had gotten.

You blinked a couple times before looking down at him, quizzically. "My Dia--?"

You cut yourself off to stifle a soft gasp as you find that Steven has long since fallen asleep. You felt your cheeks burn with modesty at the display before you. Both at the fact there was an unconscious teen laying against you, but also at the fact that you didn't even choose your most powerful version of that particular song, and yet the prince was out cold. Still in full uniform, you might add. This... isn't the least bit dignified.

However, in sleep, nearly his entire image looked different. He looked nothing like the strict, somewhat contemptuous monarch he was while he was asleep. In fact, he looked almost child-like with how peaceful he looked.

You could almost say you found his sleeping form was endearing.

After a few minutes of sitting there and mulling the situation over, you decided to try and get up. You had to move slowly, to avoid nicking him with your talons or tail barbs; stealthily moving out from beneath him and gently laying his head on his pillow, careful as to not jostle him or abruptly drop him. You then slowly dismounted the bed, making sure your talons didn't click against the stone floor.

After taking a moment to stretch and flutter your wings, you turned around and studied the sleeping half-human before you. You watched the steady rise and fall of his chest with each snore that left his lips, before he grunted softly, shifting his weight and turning onto his side, before resuming his snoring. I... I really did it.

You took a few steps back, letting out a quiet sigh of relief. As you stood there trying to gather your thoughts, you let yourself feel the faintest flicker of triumph at today's feats. Not only have you managed to survive it, but you've also made the discovery that your voice's power can even bare affects on beings beyond Earth!

It is certainly a feat that any siren, or mythos for that matter, would be proud of...

Your smile faded as a realization came to mind. Regardless of how astounding your accomplishments were, It wasn't like you'd be able to tell the tale to anyone...

You glanced over your shoulder at the moon's light shining down through the large window that was nearby. Wrapping your arms around yourself, you slowly walked over to it, leaning forward slightly to peer out into the vast starry night sky.

It was profoundly more beautiful than you remembered; instead of the usual back, or dark indigo, the sky was a deep royal purple, with clusters of stars that shone brighter than any jewels or treasures you've come across on Earth. The moon itself was different; rather than having a yellow tint, was instead a light blue, and it was so close that you could even make out a few craters in it.

It was certainly a sight to behold, but even then, you couldn't quite enjoy the sight. It was just another reminder that this wasn't your planet's sky.

Unconsciously, your eyes scanned the vast space; wondering where Earth would be. A sudden knot formed in your throat as you realized just how far you could be from Earth. It was likely you weren't even in the same galaxy anymore.

And without knowing a way back, this new planet may as well be called your home planet now.

You let out a shaky sigh, putting a hand in the clear glass, trying to blink away the sudden burn in your eyes.

Part of you wondered if you'd ever set foot on the planet again.

You caught the glint of your diamond charm on your collar in the reflection of the window, ushering another grim reminder that being far from home was the least of your worries.

You were not only a new part of an alien empire, but you were also put under the ownership of its wrathful prince in hopes to sooth his temper. But with the level of rage and power you've seen him display, you wondered if your voice alone was even enough to sate such fury.

And if Greg was right about these fits being worse, what would tomorrow bring?

Your throat felt tight as you stepped back from the window, clasping your hands in front of your chest. You started to breathe heavy, as if something was squeezing your chest from the inside.

How many tomorrows did you have left?

You let out a quiet whimper, slowly making your way over to the large couch nearby. You sat down, setting a hand on your chest as you took several deep breaths to rid it of the tightness that formed in it.

Worrying about it won't get me anywhere. You told yourself, laying down on the plush surface. I must stay strong. Regardless of your reserves, there wasn't anything you could do now. As far as you were concerned, this was your life now, and you may as well bide your time and try to adapt to the new reality you've been brought in.

You curled up on yourself, shuffling your weight a bit as you wrapped your wings and tail around yourself. I shouldn't think like this anyway. You told yourself. I've only been here for a single day. Perhaps things will get better if I... played along.

After taking a few more deep breaths, you banished your remaining worries to the back of your head, you closed your eyes, ignoring the warm tears that brought forth. For now, you needed to rest up for what lies ahead...

This is my life now.
~~~~~~~~~

The shock has worn off; letting the full reality of the situation sink in.