two

two

He knew her name.

He'd said it without hesitation and without reading it off of a paper. He knew it.

And yet he had never interacted with her. Never spared a glance to appreciate her beauty.

Or so she thought. All those times she'd been certain that she'd faded into the background...no way.

The first time she'd laid sight upon her dark, lustrous angel had been while sneaking into Bane Tower, a training headquarters for The Elite Guard. All on a stupid dare. She'd boasted to her friends that she'd slipped in like a silent assassin when in truth she had walked in and no one had questioned it.

The dare was to steal a gold tipped arrow from the armory, but the place had been so enormous that Lav had given up after she realized she had a bigger problem: remembering where the exit was. And then she had spotted him while turning down yet another corridor that blended with the rest.

He was in the midst of sparring with an angel in training. Shirtless.

It was like a sign from the great archangels themselves.

His black wings had shimmered a deep blue with every fluid movement against his opponent, darting left and right. Like a raven. Graceful and lethal, all at the same time. The other angel, a brawny redhead, had no chance of winning. His hits were too sporadic. Not properly aimed. He was a mess.

Even with the knowledge of what the outcome of the fight would be, she'd slipped into the room like a ghost under a spell. A handful of angels had halted their sparring, also enthralled by Obsidian's prowess.

No one paid her any attention. Not even Obsidian, his concentration solely on his opponent who threw a punch that never landed. It was the first time she'd felt like shouting and screaming to obtain a guy's attention. Notice me.

His hair had been a little longer at the time, brushing his broad shoulders. And his eyes, such a dazzling steel, brightened by the energy of a battle. He was the most breathtaking warrior she'd ever seen and with skills honed by what had to have been centuries of training. A stretch of time that she couldn't even begin to fathom.

Her panties had never been more ready to hit the floor when he suddenly spun to the side and launched a brutal kick into the ribs of the other angel. An audible crack had been followed by the angel soaring back and hitting the far wall.

The small crowd that had been observing cheered and called out his name. Obsidian.

She had whispered it to herself, testing out the unusual name on her tongue. It suited her dark angel.

He didn't seem to care about the victory or his fallen opponent, who would heal quickly, and his gaze swept over the crowd instead. As if he'd heard her voice, he searched every face and just before his eyes were to drift over the area she occupied, Lav backpedaled out of the room.

Every muscle in her body had tensed in anticipation of him seeing her. She wanted it to happen. So badly. To have those silver orbs latch onto her.

But she couldn't allow herself to be caught.

Even with the failure of the dare, her heart raged in her chest and there was no way to stop her soul from jumping off a cliff and falling endlessly, hopelessly, desiring to one day be caught in the heated embrace of blue black wings.

And then two years passed before she saw him again.

Athena had been caught sneaking in cigarettes from the human realm to some fellow angels at the academy. Not her finest moment. She'd been sent to a holding facility for questioning and containment until someone could bail her out.