six

six

I have to be dreaming. I have to be dreaming. I have to be dreaming.

After all, sandman pills had that side effect.

Except this dream felt excruciatingly vivid as Lav and the tiny fledgling angel sprinted inside the nearest bedroom and another demonic shriek cut through the air.

Act now, think later. Right, that's what she did best anyways.

She kicked the door shut behind her - as if that would even stop the beast - but she was taking every second she could get and it would take at least five for that thing to annihilate the door.

The bedroom they had entered was larger than her own, it even had a short foyer and as she ushered pixie girl towards the other side of it, her jaw dropped.

Whoever resided in this room had their own bathroom. What the hell.

She would have killed for her own bathroom. Note to self: befriend whoever lives here. Or plot their demise and take the room.

The door sat ajar to the left, revealing a peek of a clawfoot tub with gold details. Ugh, some fledgling bitch was living their best life and having bubble baths on the daily, no doubt. Behind the tub, a silky fall of violet drapes covered the expanse of what had to be a window.

"This way!" Lav darted inside the bathroom, practically dragging the other angel with her. Taking note of her previous actions, pixie angel frantically slammed the door shut behind them just as Lav gripped the edges of the curtain and pried them apart.

Her heart stilled.

On the bright side, there was the massive glass pane she was looking for. On the not so bright side, it was locked. An aluminum latch secured the window handle in place and a key shaped hole practically mocked her. Why was it locked? And with a key?

A crash came from out in the corridor, the walls vibrating with the force. Pixie angel held her hands to her mouth, as if to swallow back a scream. Her enormous wings flickered faintly and Lav blinked, wondering if she had imagined it. She backed away from the bathroom door just as the sharp spike of a bone-tipped wing speared through the wood like butter.

Lav jabbed her ice pick into the window and the glass began to fracture.

She hit it again and shards fells away this time, some skidding along her hands and slicing into her skin as she pulled back and relentlessly drove the ice pick into the glass. The noise couldn't be helped and obviously the demon knew where they were at that point.

The edges of the window were still jagged but the gaping hole in the middle was enough space for them to fall through if they folded their wings.

One at a time, though.

Clenching the ice pick tightly, Lav channeled a chivalrous side of her that she hadn't quite realized existed. Something so angelic within her, it had to have even gained a gasp from the Big Ole Deity.

She stepped aside and snatched the pixie angel's wrist. Yanking her forward was like pulling on a balloon string. The girl dared to drag her gaze from the splintering wood of the door over to Lav. She had the appearance of a ghost, her hair and skin leeched of color.

"You go first. Hurry up before I change my mind!" She nodded towards the window and bit the inside of her cheek, her own wings desperately humming with the need to take flight out the window. To get as far as possible from the monster about to finally break through the partially demolished door.