sixteen

sixteen

The world shifted in a manner that made Lav realize she was wrong. It wasn't a Veil they traveled through because they were still in the realm of the academy. Her dark angel had some serious tricks up his sleeve. The crisp notes of fresh greenery instantly became familiar alongside the sparkling rush of water that fell from overhead. The Falls.

One second Lav was absorbing her new surroundings and the next she was being flung into water. Her surprised shout was quickly silenced by a mouthful of cold liquid. Talk about a chilling switch in temperature. It was pitch black beneath the depths and she splashed to the surface, spitting and cursing, hair plastered to her face and clothes molded to her form.

He'd thrown her into the fucking water. That temper of his was beyond interesting. It made Lav want to play even more. At least I look good wet. Ah, yes, that was definitely working in her favor. He regarded her coldly from the dry side of land but as she stepped out to join him, those lustrous peepers sank down to her torso where hardened nipples beckoned him through her wet and flimsy top. Gotcha.

"You could've just said you wanted to go swimming. Sometimes words speak louder than actions." She kept up that airy persona and his jaw ticked. "Though I don't blame you for wanting to see me wet."

"Not. Another. Word." He bit out. "I'm not sure which is more pathetic — how quickly you give up or that you think you can fool me."

Back to business then. He was referring to her little rendition of the boy who cried wolf. Except she cried about demons and then gave up on convincing the angels of danger in favor of saving herself. Unlike the other Guards, Obsidian hadn't fallen for her act. He didn't believe she had made everything up. How did he always know these things? It was unnerving, really. Even more so that he wanted to know details. If Lav shouted that a cowboy with pink hair was going to materialize from the sea in three minutes, couldn't he just believe her?

Oh, who was she kidding.

At this point, she didn't know why she expected so much from him. Okay, scratch that. She knew exactly why. The instant his eyes had landed on her in Forsaken, finally giving her the long awaited attention she so rightfully deserved, her soul had been claimed. It had ruined her. He had ruined her.

Lav emerged from the shallow bank and sauntered up to him, relishing the fiery glints that sparked within those pretty eyes. "I'm not giving up, I'm just taking matters into my own hands."

Partially true. She didn't know the full details of her plans but if Obsidian wanted to investigate then she was hopping on the same train.

His wariness of her was off the charts at this point. "What do you mean?"

"I mean I'm borrowing a poncho from the head honcho."

He rubbed his brow as if to ward off a headache. "I thought a cold dive would bring you to your senses. You're still not taking this seriously."

"News flash: I don't take anything seriously. But I could be persuaded if you take off that uniform." She seriously hoped he would do so.

"You've given me no reason to trust you, let alone obey you."

Ugh. The clothes were staying on it seemed. She didn't bother disguising her disappointment and pouted. "Is this because I'm younger than you?"