fifteen

fifteen

Lav pretended she was a beautiful phoenix slashing through the mist on a mission to save her sexy lover. After all, what was life without a little daydreaming thrown in?

She had initially wanted to be a hot vampire queen yet the vision of what an exotic phoenix she would make was impossible to resist.

Gold rings would circle each iris and her wings would be made of fire and magic. No one would tell her what to do and so many would fear her. She could have a hundred lives or a hundred thousand. Death would never get its hands on her bronzed skin but the men of the phoenix race were more than welcome to indulge.

Oh wait. But her fantasy started with her already having a lover. A possessive and broody one. Her dark angel. Yum.

When the academy came into view, Lav tucked her wings close and plummeted down. She was essentially nosediving like a missile and the speed gave her a heady rush, a psychotic grin splitting her mouth. The need for speed was everything.

The ground rushed to meet her but she wasn't fazed. There was a game the fledglings enjoyed playing from a young age. It was called Kiss.

Two or more angels would fly to the highest point in the sky and then on the count of three they would enfold their wings and fall. The key to winning was to not be afraid of plunging to your death. Whoever got closest to kissing the earth first without chickening out and spreading their wings to save face was considered victorious.

Lav had learned to fly fast from playing Kiss. The attention she garnished whenever she won was addicting. All the broken bones, concussions, and scars had certainly paid off. Her current opponents weren't other angels, though. Now she was racing actual monsters to the academy and she was so winning.

Or at least she assumed she was. The academy loomed before her, the various and uneven structures of each floor suddenly more welcoming than before.

The entryway faced the opposite direction of the rocky cliffs and black sea. It ran along a sharp incline that did wonders for one's legs. Two Guards roamed the path and were quick to spot her.

Straightening her wings to slow her descent, Lav's muscles screamed, working against the wind to stop herself from nosediving into an unsightly heap of blood and bones. Decades of practice meant she had no trouble at all putting on a show and making it appear effortless. Showing off was always top priority. Her feet hit the ground swiftly, absorbing the impact as she stood tall.

The Guards who had received the honor of witnessing how cool she was didn't gawk or swoon. She figured they had to be internally crushing on her at the very least.

One was a female with frosty blue lipstick and silvery hair. The other was a male with golden eyes and a lip ring. The two glanced at one another in silence, like she was the tenth fledgling to have pulled a stunt to wow them.

Note to self: set off fireworks next time.

A dazzling light show always did the trick.

"You and your friends just don't know when to quit, huh?" The male spoke first and she realized why her brain itched as if she knew him. She didn't. But Athena did. This was the Guard she had caught a glimpse of in the nude at the Falls.

"Can you tell whoever comes next to bring some popcorn? Make it extra buttery. Oh and some of those lemon cashews flavored like everything bagels would be delish." The female smiled. "Pretty please."