seven

seven

"So what exactly is that and why aren't you slaying it to impress us?"

Dragging his gaze from the ominous entity drifting over the room, Obsidian scrutinized the three fledglings that were somehow magnets for mayhem. The one who spoke, Athena, was dangerously close to becoming fallen but she didn't seem to particularly care, having risked receiving yet another mark by not evacuating the academy when ordered.

He didn't bother responding to her because his patience was wearing thin.

All within a span of less than twenty four hours, the fledglings had committed various misdeeds and now demons had barged into the academy. Were they somehow tied? He didn't believe in coincidences. Demons couldn't enter the academy, not with such strong divine wards in place. The only way would be through a summoning in the Veil and no one was insane enough to do that.

And yet the three fledglings who didn't seem to understand the concept of peril proved otherwise.

The wink of a blade in motion drew his attention to the fledgling whose name matched the color of her wings. Lavender. She hadn't disposed of the two swords in her grip and something in him twisted with the vision of her alone in the dorm wing. Untrained. Facing off against a bloodthirsty demon.

Foolish had been too kind of a word to describe her actions. What she'd done was completely stupid. And it prickled at his nerves.

She wasn't even fully dressed and that irked him even more as he took note of the amount of tanned flesh on display. What had she been doing before this? Or did she simply parade around the academy like that? Tempting others as she did him? He bristled at the thought.

The mangled skin of her ankle looked painful and the blood staining her temple had dried. A gnawing urge consumed him to figure out what had happened in the time it had taken him to arrive. He wanted to scold her for her actions. That was normal because it was his duty as an Elite Guard.

But the displeasure bloomed into something that also made him want to lock her up with divine cuffs and place her somewhere no one - except him - would ever find. And that was not normal behavior for a Guard.

Obsidian supposed that irrational nature was bound to have escalated since he first saw her forty years ago, dancing at a club in the angel realm.

He'd only gone to share a few drinks with Rune and North to celebrate the completion of a mission but loud cheering from the dance floor had snagged their curiosity. Followed by pretty lilac feathers. The wings were merely a fraction of her beauty as the angel moved her lithe body to the fast beat. Time had suspended as an array of colorful lights illuminated the shimmer adorning her high cheeks and dark eyes lined dramatically with kohl. Short midnight hair framed a bold face with a mysterious grin and he thought she might've been a mirage of an Egyptian goddess.

He didn't recognize her but he wanted to join her. To slide his hands over the slim expanse of her waist and tug her against his hard body, so he could feel every fluid rock of her hips.

Instead he'd left.

Back then he could easily fight the mystifying desire for an angel he didn't know. If only it had continued to be so simple.

He caught glimpses of her from time to time, shattering the delusion that she was a fragment of his imagination. Sunbathing at the edge of the cliffs. Laughing loudly with friends. Parading around the realm in the midst of games.