five

five

A fresh hour of darkness had just begun to fall along the premises of the vast angel realm. Pocketed in a separate haven of the skies, an endless stretch of water encompassed a land of voluminous terrain and forestry. Nestled at the dramatic cliffs sat the fledgling academy, a towering fortress that had surpassed eons of time.

Although, it could have very well been mistaken for a vampiric paradise that particular night.

A dark gloom swirled in the air, unseen yet tangible. The clouds thickened and swarmed. A black sea raged against the jagged rocks of the cliffs, wave upon wave surging further up in a frenzy to kiss the tip's edge.

The peculiar static of energy was entirely unprecedented.

Which probably explained why Ellra, Athena, and a bottle of vodka were just beginning to get friendly in the kitchen of the north dorm wing when The Elite Guard stormed the academy.

The soft ringing of the bell that detected divine energy signaled the Guards presence.

Could the timing get any worse?

Panicking that they'd come to arrest her once more, Ellra leapt into action with a speed that she really could have used to her advantage in training if she tried.

Down the sink drain their precious alcohol went, an absolute waste that sort of brought tears to her eyes. Athena sobbed in protest behind her. It was hard enough sneaking in the goods. Having to get rid of them was freaking brutal.

The empty crystal bottle would, unfortunately, also be evidence so she started for the nearest door on the same floor, flung it open and chucked it inside.

An enraged shout came from the occupant inside. Oops.

Probably should have checked if anyone was in there first. But better they get caught with an empty bottle than her. That's not how an angel should think, bad Ellra.

Before that situation could escalate, a loud bang resonated throughout the floor. And then the light fixtures above went out with a pop and crackle.

Weird, since magic wards kept the lights alive. Did the Guards have something to do with that?

Ellra and Athena headed for the entrance of the wing and a few angels flew down from the bedroom floors above to join them. The farther they got from their rooms, where endlessly forbidden things may or may not exist, the better.

Seeing in the dark wasn't a huge problem since windows were in abundance and the grey light from outside hadn't quite muted to a pitch black yet. She frowned at the sight of the murky skies through the glass. An ominous charm. Rather unusual compared to the serene views that typically ringed the academy.

"Do you guys feel that?" Faiz, a deviant angel with bleached blond hair in spikes, asked.

Of course they felt it. A frigid, nonexistent wind that nipped at their flesh and wings.

It didn't feel good, either. Not like a fun flight through a winter thunderstorm. Some might not agree with the pleasurably numbing temperature and exhilarating thrill of hail tearing at you but to each their own. She knew she had excellent taste, especially since Athena and Lav shared the same joys.