Ch. 4 No Hope

Sunstreaker's P.O.V.
I failed to find Megatron, but I didn't travel far to look for him. Even though I can do nothing, I can't stay away from the situation back at the base.

I return to base, seeing Crosshairs in the medbay, talking to Ratchet. 
Damn, I hope he's not being asked to let Jamie go.
I wait by the medbay for ten minutes before Crosshairs walks out past me. 
"What did you tell him?" I ask Ratchet.
"It's not looking good for Jamie. I wanted him to decide if we should wake Drift from stasis or wait."
I know Ratchet hates we're choosing how much should Drift suffer through this. I know he's having nightmares while in stasis. Crosshairs is worried Drift will go too far, but he started struggling more since Drift went into stasis.
Damn, there's no clear answer.
"We need a miracle. They'd be ok with Jamie being weak for a period and needing extra care, even if it's more than we're used to."
"What?"
"Jamie had only hours before dying. The damage is severe. Right now, I'm hoping she'll wake up and I can slowly remove her from the machines. After that step, she'll have tubes for feeding and urinating for a while. I don't know if I can avoid a tracheostomy."
"It's going to be a year before she's recovered, isn't it?"
"Likely, but Jamie is a fighter. Once her body gets the strength, recovery could be rapid. I don't know if I should tell Crosshairs or if Drift would do better if I told him. Even if I told them brain function is amazingly strong."

I go into the medbay and sit by Jamie.
"I know you're a fighter. You need to be strong and fight, Jamie."
What a fucking nightmare! Just the physical recovery alone is going to be tough. Emotional recovery is a whole other situation.
No, don't let her have nightmares like Sideswipe and me.
I know I'm thinking way ahead of time. Jamie's heart is beating slowly. She's too skinny and weak. I don't know if Megatron knows how close Jamie is to Crosshairs and Drift.
Though if she dies, we'll all be crushed, those two...

Crosshairs' P.O.V.
Ratchet wants me to decide if we're taking Drift out of stasis or not. I don't know; he was having a hard time, and I thought he'd harm himself, but I can't watch Jamie fight for her life alone. The others try to support me, but it's not the same. I don't know if they should put me in stasis. I can't take watching Jamie alone, but Ratchet was against putting Drift in stasis; I doubt he'd let me go into stasis. 

Ratchet's P.O.V.
No one's seen Crosshairs in six hours, which is concerning. I'm still getting a strong Energon signature from him, so I know he didn't seriously harm himself. 
:: I found him.:: Wheeljack comms me.
:: Bring him to the medbay.:: I instruct.
Crosshairs' signature is strong, but he may have still harmed himself.

Wheeljack follows a not injured Crosshairs into the medbay and has him sit on the berth in front of the one Drift is lying on. It's not like we could keep Crosshairs from seeing Drift or Jamie. 
"I'm fine, Ratchet," Crosshairs says in a depressed tone.
  He's not completely lying; he means he didn't harm himself. 
"What do you want to do?" I ask.
"I don't know. He will not like Jamie is still this critical, but I hate how he's in stasis, even if he's still having nightmares about this. I don't know if he will harm himself."
"Damn it. I don't know what to do either," I sigh.
"You two need to support each other," Wheeljack comments, unsure if he should have.
"I don't know if I can keep him safe," Crosshairs tells Wheeljack. 
We may need to make plans to keep the two safe, but I agree with Wheeljack; Crosshairs and Drift need to support each other.
I'm taking Drift out of stasis, aware of what we'll face. He's likely going to think he was dreaming, then be crushed once he sees Jamie.

Wheeljack's P.O.V.
I stayed in case Drift became distraught, realizing he's been dreaming about the situation that's been happening.  
"No," Drift cries and falls to his knees the second he sees Jamie. Crosshairs sit on his knees, and side hugs Drift, but I can tell he's also trying not to fall apart.  
"Maybe you should tell Them the possible outcome?" I ask, whispering.
"No, too soon," Ratchet sighs. 

We leave Crosshairs and Drift mostly alone, Mirage watching while invisible, while the rest of us talk about a plan, even if there's not much we can do. Crosshairs and Drift don't have their weapons on them, and we keep the weapons room locked already. Ratchet or Jolt are in the medbay, keeping a close eye on Jamie. The only issue is making sure they're at least drinking Energon and will not drive off. 
"I'm not sure how much we can help them, but they need to know we're here for them," Prime tells everyone, "... they feel lost without their best friend, Drift is spark broken. This might be the worst they've been through," Prime concludes.

Optimus Prime's P.O.V.
I go to the medbay after the meeting. Crosshairs and Drift are both sitting by Jamie, holding her hand.
Damn, you do not know how much this is crushing Crosshairs and Drift, Jamie. Please let her recover. 

I get the two mechs to come to the cafeteria for some Energon. The two sat in silence and drank slowly. Bumblebee and Sideswipe got the two to watch T.V. with them. I return to the medbay and sit by Jamie.
"Come on, Jamie. We don't want to lose you."
How long before we're all depressed? Primus, please let our friend recover.