Ch. 49 Time in The pool

Drift's P.O.V.
We have found that being in our room helps Jamie relax. She's been doing well with the speaking valve. After Jamie tried to keep a kidney infection secret, I am concerned about not having Jamie continue to use diapers even if this is a good step in her recovery. She's still not drinking a lot to need the bathroom several times a day. We're trying to get her to drink more. We've also been trying to get a new routine going to add more therapy. 

The terror twins take Jamie for her morning walk that turns into a nap, Crosshairs and I go to the medbay to talk to a few doctors with Jolt and Ratchet. Ratchet already talked to the speech and at the hospital, Crosshairs and I want to talk to them.
".... that's what is challenging," the speech therapist says, "if she's not talking while alone with you two unless frightened, then there's nothing I can suggest."
"I have an idea," the respiratory therapist adds, "you can let Jamie have a little pool time. Just keep the trach out of the water."
We know how much Jamie loves swimming and see the idea is this should help her relax. I don't think it'll get her to want to talk.
The two doctors were hoping to see Jamie, but also understand how frightened she gets.  They don't want to take the chance while she's asleep, either. Though odd, they ask Ratchet to film the next time he examines Jamie before leaving.

"You sure?" Sunstreaker asks, "I know she loves swimming, but I don't think she'll relax."
"Unless we can close the pool to everyone," Sideswipe adds, "and I don't think Lennox will agree."
Sideswipe leaves the room.
"What did they say about getting her to talk?" Sunstreaker asks.
"There's nothing else we can do," I regret saying.
"I really wish we could figure out why she's not talking. Is she embarrassed that even you two see her like this?"
"Then there's nothing we can do," I regret.
"I'm sorry, I-I...," Sunstreaker tries to apologize, but leaves the room.

Sunstreaker's P.O.V.
I'm such an idiot. I know how much he's struggling, and I had to bring up a reason Jamie isn't talking.
Sunstreaker, are you ok? Sideswipe asks.
No, I'm an idiot. Pointing out why Jamie might not be talking. Drift is already struggling with Jamie's stagnant recovery.
I feel Sideswipe's sadness.

I go to our room and sit on my bed, looking at the art I've done with Jamie while at the park. I think she'll like these printed and framed. I have a plan.
Things took longer than I thought. By the time I head back to the base, Sideswipe is wondering where I am. It's odd he told me to go to the poolroom.

I walk into the room,  seeing Drift doing something with Jamie's abdomen. I hate how skinny she is and the G-tube. Whatever he's doing, she isn't liking it.
"Easy, I have to cover this as I do for a bath," Drift explains.
Then I realize he's ready to go in the pool. So is Crosshairs and Sideswipe. 
Is she afraid to go swimming? Even if she knows the trach can't get wet, she should know Drift will be careful. Glad my subspace will keep dinner warm.
He covers the G-tube and pulls down her shirt before sitting her up. I didn't see he had the oximeter on her finger. It's interesting seeing how well Crosshairs and Drift work together to take care of their charge and friend. They try to calm her down. It's hard to see Jamie doesn't trust her guardians. I don't know what I can do, but I want to help.
"Jamie, you know they make sure it's safe for you to go in the pool," I tell her, "you want me to go in too?"
I was hoping she'd say something, but she crawls to me and hugs me. After what I said earlier, I fear this behavior troubles Jamie's guardians. What is going through her mind?
"I'll be right back," I assure her, "let Drift take you into the pool."
That wasn't good. Sideswipe frets.
No, it wasn't. I hate there's nothing we can do. I don't think it matters if Ratchet knows either.
But that's not what Sideswipe is thinking.

Drift's P.O.V.
This is concerning; as the days go by, Jamie's mental state gets worse. What is she thinking?
Sideswipe looks panicked as he watches me carry Jamie to the deep end of the pool. I don't know if starting with her feet in the water will help, but I don't want to take the chance she'll fight me as I carry her into the water. I can't believe I'm thinking about this. 
Crosshairs looks at me with concern as we sit with Jamie and she leans on me. I try to avoid thinking about what he could be worried about for now.

Sunstreaker returns, hoping we got Jamie in the pool. I question what took him twenty minutes, but I will not ask. He doesn't get Jamie to join him and Sideswipe in the pool, but I know they are both not liking that Jamie is now afraid to go into the pool. After last summer full of pool days. 

They enjoy the pool for an hour, before Sunstreaker tells us he got dinner. We decide to meet in the cafeteria. I'm leaving the G-tube covered. Though I have been doing the relaxing baths in the morning, I think it'll be a good idea tonight.

Jamie smiles, seeing what Sunstreaker got for dinner. Her favorite from McDonald's; twenty piece McNuggets and large fries. We're just hoping she'll eat a lot before feeling full.
"Sorry, I'm already waiting for Ratchet to scold me, so no soda," Sunstreaker tells Jamie.
On cue, Ratchet walks over. We know he wouldn't approve of this being dinner every night even if Jamie needs to gain weight. 
We didn't think Ratchet would come back to the table. It's funny he returns as Sunstreaker shows us he also went to Panera Bread and got cookies.
"We can't do this every night," he points out while revealing a cup of root beer and putting it on the table by Jamie before leaving again.

After dinner, a little T.V., and a bath; Jamie is asleep. Crosshairs and I need to talk about what was troubling him earlier today. I didn't think the terror twins would join us and we'd be going to Ratchet's office. Even Ratchet isn't looking pleased with what we have to talk about.

"I-I hate t-to add to the list of challenges...," Sideswipe tries to say.
Ratchet sighs, "we suspect that another way those fraggers tortured Jamie was by submerging her in deep water."
"Drift!" I hear Crosshairs yell as everything goes dark.