Ch. 28 Depression

Optimus Prime’s P.O.V.
I can only watch in fear, hoping she’s not gone. Ten minutes feels like forever before I hear the beeping on the monitor. However, I see Ratchet is full of fear, uncertain if he can help Jamie this time or if she’ll wake up.
He sighs as he sits on the chair by the bed.
We need a damn miracle.

I discover Crosshairs fell apart, and both mechs have been crying. How do they even know? What can I say? She’s not ok, even if her heart is beating again. 
OP: Ratchet, I may require your help.
Ratchet: damn it, I’m coming.
Ratchet comes with two syringes of relaxant but puts them on the table before sitting by Drift, unprepared for Drift to hug him and cry.
Even with the war and loss, this still hurts.

Jolt’s P.O.V.
I’m glad we don’t have other patients at the moment. I don’t want to leave Jamie’s side even if she’s unconscious.
“Come on, Jamie; we’d be lost without you, and it would devastate Crosshairs and Drift. I know we have spent little time together, and I promise you we’ll spend a day together, even if Crosshairs and Drift also come with us. Please, you have to keep fighting.”
I take her hand, hoping to feel her move it.
And I swear, Megatron, you are not safe. You better be prepared when you decide to engage in battle with us.

Ratchet returns an hour later. For now, he didn’t have to use the drugs, but I don’t think he told them anything about Jamie.
“I still think they should see her,” he says as he gets the blanket we’ve been soaking to cool Jamie down.
They’re terrified she’ll die before them, but I believe it’s true; people in comas can hear people talking to them. She needs to know they’re here for her.
We surround Jamie’s body with ice packs and cover her with the blanket we’ve been soaking.
“You’ve been here all night; go take a break,” Ratchet insists.
He’s going to argue if I refuse to leave.

I can’t hide my worry as I walk down the hall. No one knows what happened, but my worried expression concerns them.
It’s hard to relax and not think about her.
I think I’d rather hear her crying from discomfort and pain than see her in the state she’s in now.

Optimus Prime’s P.O.V.
I didn’t think Sunstreaker would stay with Drift as Crosshairs and I go down to the medbay. Crosshairs is uncertain about letting Sunstreaker stay with Drift, but we worry Drift will harm himself if left alone.
“He’ll probably be asleep the whole time, but someone needs to stay here,” Sunstreaker argues.
“Leave him alone. Just make sure he doesn’t hurt himself,” I instruct as we see Drift laying in bed, facing the wall. I don’t think he’s asleep, but he is ignoring our presence here.

I knew Crosshairs would break down as he sat beside the bed. Ratchet dreads there’s nothing he can say, which silently says Jamie could still flatline again.
“You have to fight, Jamie; I don’t know what I’d do without you, and Drift loves you.”

Sunstreaker’s P.O.V.
It’s hard to believe Drift is this depressed, and I swear Crosshairs looked like he had been crying. They don’t think she’ll survive, damn it.
Sideswipe, I need you to watch Drift. He’s depressed, and he may hurt himself.

I wait in the hallway for Sideswipe.
“You know we’ve been told not to seek revenge,” Sideswipe argues.
“Go into that room, and you’ll understand!” I argue before walking down the hall.

Prowl caught me and threatened to throw me in the brig if I leave. 
“Go ahead! I will avenge her death!”
“Sunstreaker, stop!” I hear Crosshairs. Clearly, he’s uncertain if Jamie will recover, and he’s concerned about Drift, “we’ll have our chance with Jamie.”
He struggled to say ‘with Jamie.’ We go back to the medbay.

Ratchet is not pleased I came with Crosshairs or that Crosshairs told me Jamie died, was revived, and is in a coma.
That explains why Drift is depressed. There is a way to save her, but it’s not my decision.
I am told to keep quiet about this. Everyone is already worried, then to hear what happened today...
I think Sideswipe figured it out as I feel sadness through the bond — or Drift told him what happened.
Crosshairs and I aren’t sure if we should get Drift to come here. With his bond with Jamie — even without being bonded — he could help her, or it’s his chance to say goodbye.
“I advise we leave him alone. Make sure he’s eating and doesn’t hurt himself,” Ratchet tells us.

Sideswipe’s P.O.V.
I don’t know if Drift knows somebot is in the room or doesn’t care as he cries.
“I’m sorry, Jamie; I failed to protect you,” he sobs, “I want to be with you, but I know you are alive and safe in your dimension.”
Sunstreaker, ask Ratchet what I can tell Drift.
I hate hearing Drift cry. 
Crosshairs, Ratchet, and Prime aren’t sure if it’s ok to tell him Jamie is still fighting or not. Sunstreaker tells me.
Damn it, is there nothing we can say to give him hope?

Crosshairs, Prime, and Sunstreaker return twenty minutes later. I tell them what Drift said.
“I don’t know if he’d still hurt himself,” Crosshairs frets, “he needs something to give him hope, but.... there’s nothing,” Crosshairs dreads as tears roll down his face.
It’s hard not to feel like a memorial is already planned. It hurts this time; everyone feels Jamie can’t fight this.

Sunstreaker and I go to the medbay; Ratchet scolding us not to tell anyone what happened today. 
Come on, Jamie, I know you’re a fighter.

Crosshairs’ P.O.V.
I lay on Drift’s bed and put an arm around him, not knowing he’d roll over and hug me.
“She’s gone,” he sobs.
We don’t know if Jamie will die. I hate I can’t say anything to give him hope.