Ch. 61 More Worries

Drift's P.O.V.
Jolt asked to look at the healing stoma. It should be closed by now. I know a picture isn't the same as Jolt looking at Jamie's neck himself, but we know Jamie is going to panic.
Crosshairs and I try to keep her calm but fail. Jamie panics to where she's throwing up. It's a challenge to get her to calm down.
"You're safe," I assure her, "Jolt wants to make sure the stoma is closed," I hold her for a few seconds, enough for Jolt to see the stoma closed as it should have, "ok, I think you need a relaxing bath."
At least she's not afraid to be in the tub, but the pool is still a challenge.

The bath results in Jamie falling asleep. Once she's dressed, I sit on the couch holding her. Crosshairs sits on the couch and hugs me. Jolt left already, likely not happy to tell Ratchet what happened.
"I hope the surgery they need to do will be enough to deal with this," I sigh, "problem is if she'll get sick enough to need the ventilator or if this idea doesn't work."
Crosshairs doesn't hide how worried he is. I know I'm just thinking about how I was hoping this wouldn't take a long time. I hate seeing Jamie like this.
Sunstreaker walks in, not liking what he sees.
"Rough morning?" He asks.
"Jolt just wanted to make sure the stoma closed properly," I explain, "as always, a bath relaxes her, but I didn't think she'd fall asleep."
Sunstreaker is worried about how afraid Jamie is. Hoping Jolt and Ratchet's plan will work, but that could be months from now.

We decide to do a little therapy after lunch. I worry about how Jamie will be since she knows how weak she is. Even though this is not as bad as she would be without the scientists' invention. Sunstreaker is careful as he sets up the weights.
"How long before she gives him a hard time?" I whisper to Crosshairs, "or us with the G-tube?"
Crosshairs sighs, "I hope she doesn't start fighting us, but I know she's not liking this. Hoping she doesn't know how long it's been. I know the rest of her recovery could take months, and I hate it."
We watch Sunstreaker work with Jamie for a half-hour. He decides this is enough for today. Except for playing with the light medicine ball. Not sure if pushing the ball back to Sunstreaker is exercise. Soon, Sideswipe walks in and joins them.

Playing doesn't last long. I should have realized with how tiny Jamie is, she tires quickly. I'm more worried about how upset Jamie will be since this will be routine for a while until she's gained strength and weight. Even Sunstreaker is concerned.

Crosshairs' P.O.V.
We were worried about Jamie getting the trach removed, that we didn't think about after the trach is removed. What could we have done to be prepared?
"I know she hates it, but I'm thinking we should put her on a frequent slow feed plan," Sunstreaker tells me, "I asked Ratchet how this would work, and this will help her."
Sunstreaker shows me notes Ratchet wrote.
"This would still take three months," I point out, "either way, Jamie will not be happy and possibly difficult."
We both worry about Jamie's and Drift's mental health. I know Drift and the terror twins worry about me. With Jamie asleep, Sunstreaker insists I do something. I'm not in the mood to workout, but there's no point arguing with Sunstreaker.

Sunstreaker's P.O.V.
Sideswipe walks into the room as Drift walks out of the bathroom.
"Where's Crosshairs?" Drift asks. The worry on his face tells me I should have waited until he was out of the shower to get Crosshairs to do something for a while, "you know he hides how this is affecting him. It's not wise to let him be alone!"
Scrap, does he think Crosshairs would hurt himself?
I don't like how worried he is. Sideswipe says through the bond. He's never been able to relax for the past six months, but this is concerning.
"I'll go find him," Sideswipe says.
The door opens, revealing Crosshairs and Optimus. Crosshairs looks unharmed, but why is Optimus with him?
Optimus tells us to come with him out in the hallway. Jamie should be ok for the time we're in the hallway.

It's hard hearing Drift talk about how he's feeling while sobbing. I watch Crosshairs slowly fall apart. Tears roll down his face.
I was hoping we were helping them to avoid this. Sideswipe says.
I think nothing could've been done to avoid this. Not like the rest of us aren't hurt watching Jamie even if she's doing better than three months ago.
The two mechs sit on the floor by the wall, hugging each other. There's not much more Sideswipe and I can do to help. Even if Jamie is ok with us for a day, her guardians will still worry about her.

Optimus Prime's P.O.V.
There's not much I can do as their leader or friend to help Crosshairs and Drift. I know the terror twins have been helping the best they can. I can only suggest Crosshairs and Drift ho for a walk. Sideswipe volunteers to go with them.
"I thought they'd do better mentally by now," Sunstreaker tells me, "but after doing physical therapy with Jamie this morning, and knowing how underweight Jamie is, I see why they're still worried like this. Even a cold is serious with Jamie's current health."
"This has been hard on them. Hopefully, Jamie will fully recover soon and they can heal mentally."
We know this could still take months. Worried about Crosshairs', Drift's, and Jamie's mental health as the days go by.