Ch. 33 Struggling to Relax

Drift's P.O.V.
Jamie is doing a little better today and is back on her temporary normal oxygen support with the oxygen concentrator. I didn't think she'd agree to go on a walk, though trying to keep her warm is a struggle. The wheelchair we've been using can recline, but this makes pushing the wheelchair hard, depending on the angle. We take Jamie to the park to watch the ducks. I'm glad she's able to do something that makes her happy. We don't stay long before getting her back in bed. Even the little walk tired her out. Ratchet is getting mad that I refuse to leave Jamie's side even though she's sleeping a lot. Crosshairs isn't sure whose side he should be on.
"She's getting better, and you know sleep is good for her," Ratchet explains. 
"No, I can't leave her..."
"She's past being that sick," Jolt assures me.
"Take a break for a while," Ratchet insists.
I kiss her, terrified I'll return to find out she died. 

I struggle to watch T.V.
"Do I need to sit on you?" Crosshairs jokes, smiling, "she'll be ok."
He moves closer to me and hugs me.
I know he's been worried about Jamie.

Crosshairs' P.O.V.
It's a long half-hour before Drift not only is relaxed but falls asleep. He's exhausted, and I can lay him on the couch. 
I put a 'do not disturb' sign on the door. Sunstreaker walks by, getting the idea of what's going on.
"When was the last time he slept all night?"
"At least three days ago. Even taking naps wasn't enough since Drift is stressed."
"You probably should stay there. I don't think Drift will be ok knowing you left."
Drift will be asleep for a while. The two of us go check on Jamie, who is still asleep.

Ratchet lets Sunstreaker hold Jamie. It's interesting and hard to explain how this action makes us feel a little better. Even if we also feel how light she is. I stay for a few minutes before going back to the lounge room.

Drift has a nice four-hour nap before waking up. I'm unsure how much sleep I got before Drift woke me up.
"I guess we're both tired," he says as I sit up.
Looking at Drift, he's still tired, but I don't think I'll get him to go to sleep in our room. 
Drift wastes no time telling me he wants to return to the medbay. 
"She's asleep—."
"I don't care; I'm not staying away from her!"
I hug him as he cries.

Optimus Prime's P.O.V.
I walk by the lounge room, seeing Drift cry. I hate what Jamie is going through and how much this hurts Crosshairs and Drift. 

Jolt is holding Jamie, wrapped in a blanket, on the recliner when I walk in. She's calm, but we know she's looking for her mechs.
"She's tired already?" I ask, worried.
"She's doing better but still is very sick."
My mind pictures the day her heart stopped. I never want to see that again. We will, unfortunately, see Jamie sick in medbay again, even critically is still possible.

She's asleep in less than ten minutes.
"I thought they'd come back by now," Jolt comments as he puts Jamie to bed.
"I think Drift wants to, but Crosshairs is trying to get him to take a longer break."

I watch Crosshairs take Drift up to their room; Drift trying not to cry for everyone to see, but everyone knows how much he's struggling with this. I worry Drift is going to get upset and trigger an anxiety attack.

Crosshairs' P.O.V.
It's rough watching Drift of all Autobots be like this. Even giving up trying to get to the medbay is not like him. I don't think it's only because he's tired. He lies on the bed, holding my hand tightly.
"She's getting better," I remind him.
There's still fear in his eyes.
"No..."
Scrap, not again.
It hurts watching this and knowing how traumatized he is for this to be triggered.

Optimus walks in, concerned. I dislike I can instruct my leader on what drug I need to give my friend. Optimus wants to try to calm Drift first.
"Easy, she's getting better; we will not lose her," Prime assures Drift.
A dream while awake? Is that even possible? Or is this what happens when I keep him away from Jamie? He will not be calm until she's no longer sick. Then stress level might decrease as we get her to talk and to a point where we can remove the trach. I sit on the bed, hoping Prime can calm him down, waiting for a seizure.
"You need to calm down, and then we'll return to the medbay."

Ratchet's P.O.V.
It's bad that I'm concerned Drift isn't back in the medbay yet. Something tells me there's a problem. I get what I need and go to Crosshairs and Drift's room.

I didn't expect Drift to be having a panic attack. Crosshairs is panicking that it won't stop.
"Help him!"
Optimus moves out of my way, and I inject the drug.
"I'm sorry, I was trying not to use drugs," Optimus apologizes.
"Normally, that's supposed to work," I explain.
"I kept him away from Jamie for three hours, and he's this bad," Crosshairs frets.
Damn, he's shaken up from this.

It's concerning how little sleep Drift has gotten and how stressed he is. I think I need to go against protocol to have him sleep for at least a day. 

Crosshairs is worried about how Jamie will be even though she's still sleeping often during the day, but he wants Drift to sleep.
"How bad will she get?" He asks, "even if she can't make a sound when crying."
He agrees this is what we need to do. He gives me the capsule with a stretcher to get Drift down to the medbay. 

Crosshairs sits by Jamie and takes her hand.
"I can't watch my friends going through this scrap."

"Even if she cooperates, this will last several months after she's no longer sick," I sigh as Optimus, and I watch Crosshairs.
"How much more can they take?" Optimus asks, looking at Drift.
How long before Primus ends this?