2: The Boy

"Oh! Sorry for scaring you!" the boy apologized as he stood by the trees. He walked towards me. He was speaking English obviously. I first noticed his piercing blue eyes. He had brown curly hair that was rather messy that moved with every movement he made. His tanned skin almost seemed to glow in the sun. I looked away again and looked down at the flower in my hand.

I nodded to let him know that it was alright. I stared down at the flower in my hand. I honestly didn't suspect that somebody would be here. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to talk to anybody, so this ruined my plans already.

"Well, nice to meet you," the boy, who seemed about my age, held his hand out so I could shake it. I looked at him confused, I am not well trained with the talking to people thing. "I'm Hector."

"I'm Max, nice to meet you" I said awkwardly, he chuckled softly. Well, now he is laughing at me. I wonder if it is because I sound like I am right out of Paris.

"What are you doing in the forest? You look all fancy and stuff, I thought you would be out in town square with all of the other expensive looking folk," the boy seemed to tease as he looked at me.

"I don't like those people," I admitted, continuing to look down at the dandelion in my hand. I liked the shade of yellow it was.

"Oh, judging by the way you look I would assume you would enjoy the way they are. But I guess I shouldn't judge people based off looks, right Max?" he froze and then suddenly it was like he connected the dots. Next thing I knew he was on his knee bowing. "I am so sorry your majesty, please forgive me for being so disrespectful," he spoke formally unlike how casual he seemed beforehand.

"No, no, stand up. Speak to me like a human."

He stood up and looked at me confused for a moment before nodding. "Okay, I will Max," he smiled and went back to the laid-back Hector he was before. "Max, what was the point of what you did back there?" Hector asked and pointed at where the beheading took place. I paused and was quiet. What was there I could say to justify this?

"I don't mean everything I say," I replied and kept an emotionless look on my face. Well I hope it was emotionless.

"Well, why don't you say things that you mean?" Hector asked, looking at me.

"That's not what the people want," I tried to understand what he meant. My words do not have meaning, my words are meant to please everybody else. I speak when spoken to, that is all. That is what I was trained to do. My mother killed the real me a long time ago.

"But that doesn't matter, you don't have to please people, you just have to please yourself," Hector pointed out. I took a moment to consider his words. He is smart, kind of.

"Maxwell! Where are you?" I heard my mother yell from the place of execution and I looked up to the top of the hill and saw the guards looking around.

"I have to go. Do you have a phone number so I could call you?" I asked looking at Hector.

"No my moms don't want me to have one, but look," Hector pointed up at the sky and I saw the stars above us, I could see them even though the sun was out. "Just find these stars and I will be there. And you could send me a letter, the wind will bring it to me."

"Okay," I nodded even though I was confused about it. I ran back towards the town square.

"There you are, Maxwell. Are you an idiot? It's so embarrassing our son wanders off into a forest instead of talking and socializing!" My mother grabbed my arm tightly, it hurt, and then let go when she saw people.

"Please don't touch me," I whispered when she grabbed my arm but she didn't, she only let go because people would see and think it was unladylike. Or perhaps because they would start rumors. We wouldn't want that.