18: Count to Three

I stared at Hector hoping that he had a plan. How are we supposed to get out of this? Every person in the country is looking for me. There is nowhere in this whole 6.9 million square mile country that I can go to hide.

Soldiers began marching into the carnival. They wore all black with black masks that hide their faces. I always thought they looked horrifying. They are going to tear this carnival apart looking for me. I know how this is going to work. Every citizen must go back to their homes and the soldiers will search every single home. This country is on lockdown.

"Come on," Hector grabbed my arm and we ran out of the carnival disappearing into the crowd of people escaping. The people love this government but sometimes we are just cruel. Hector was running back towards the forest. He was running incredibly fast, I was stumbling after him. I have never ran this fast before in my life.

Soldiers broke into stores and threw things around looking for me. They didn't care what they broke. People lit their own stores on fire. I don't understand what could be so bad that it was worth losing it all in flames?

Hector ran effortlessly through the chaos of it all, not paying mind to the buildings in flames. I couldn't do it as effortlessly. I fell and slid across the floor and it hurt terribly. He turned around and slid down next to me. "Are you okay?" He asked, concerned.

I nodded but looked down at my knees that were bloody. "Frick, I forgot my bandaids," Hector dug through his pockets but other than his wallet he had nothing. He still managed to not curse. He is the weirdest.

"It's okay..." I whispered and looked around at the world around me.

The beautiful world looked like it was ending. It was hard to take in the chaos and cries of the children who were lost in the chaos. The chaos I created because I wanted to go on a date. It wouldn't be like this if we left. If we went somewhere, anywhere other than here. If we could just make it out this wouldn't be happening.

Hector knows that, there is a way. It's a hard, nearly impossible way, we won't be able to undo it if we did it. I don't want to regret not leaving, I don't want to regret anything. I am tied down to this place. I am tied down to 'my people.'

Though, the way Hector turned to look at me, it was like he was regretting something. He looked like he was regretting everything. His hand that had our ring on it came to my face and his hand was shaking, he seemed scared. I have never seen somebody so vulnerable, and the person just had to be Hector.

"Maxxy, I have to go, my love,"

"What? No, we could leave Hector. I don't want to be a Prince anymore, I want to be with you. We could run away, we could get a new life. Hector I want a new life, please," Somewhere in my words I started crying as I held his hand against my face, trying to lean closer into his touch. If I got closer to him we could melt into each other's touch. Then we can't be separated.

I watched as tears rolled down his face from his blue eyes. Eyes as blue as the sky and as wild as the sea. He looked so heart broken, I just wanted to make him feel better. I just wanted to see his smile that made his eyes squint close. I just wanted to hear his laugh and forget about it all.

"The people need you Max, we could go to the beach some other time, okay?" Hector whispered softly and smiled a fake smile. He was forcing it through his tears and that just made it hurt so much more.

"But, I need you Hector, please don't go, how am I supposed to be brave?"

"Max, you are the strongest person I have ever met. You don't need anyone but yourself. I am just the lucky boy that gets to call you mine. Okay? Now remember, always speak your mind, eat grilled cheese, and don't wake up us common folk early in the morning," Hector chuckled softly and he brought my hand to his lips and kissed my knuckles and the ring. He kissed our promise.