12: A Dance As Free As You

I looked over to see Petal standing with a guitar in her hands and a smile on her face, as she stood in the living room. Dawn took the guitar and looked at me. "Will you dance with those two?" Dawn asked, referring to an eager Hector and Petal.

I noticed a piano in the corner. "What about that?" I asked, pointing at it.

Dawn nodded and pulled a chair over near the piano and sat down on it. I sat on the piano bench and looked down at the keys. Finally being forced into piano lessons at three and a half came in handy.

"We will play this one," Dawn said and opened a book full of songs to a book marked page. "You do know how to read sheet music right?" She asked. I nodded and looked down at the music memorizing it. It is very easy for me to memorize things.

Dawn began playing the guitar and I joined in focusing on what I was doing. After I noticed that the song is full of repetition I looked over at Petal and Hector.

It was a kind of dancing I have never seen before. It was free, their movements were smooth. Almost like flowing water if that makes sense. They had smiles on both of their faces. I watched as Hector laughed and swung around the room almost seeming to glide on the floor. They would occasionally clap, it startled me every time. I watched and almost wanted to join in, but I don't think being trained in ballroom dancing would help with this.

Hector was mesmerizing, his laugh seeming more beautiful than the sound of the music. I wanted to watch him be happy forever. I want to watch him forever. Is that too much? Is that too fast?

"Go dance Max, I could just play the guitar," Dawn hummed at me as she played the guitar. I got up and Hector turned and grabbed my hands.

"My turn to teach you how to dance," Hector had me copy his movements and I did so. I was right it felt like you were being moved by water. The movements came naturally. It was so freeing. It was as if I was a bird freed from their cage.

I felt like the world had faded away. We were in a place where nobody told us how to dance. We could dance together for the rest of our lives. We could dance however we wanted. I could dance however I wanted.

The safety of his arms as I leaned against him for a second before I spun away again was magical. The spin wasn't perfect, it was carefree and that's what made it all the more beautiful.

I loved this dance, this freedom. This was normal. I danced and danced, this is being a kid. This is what I love. This is who I am and who I always want to be. Who I am is somebody who dances with the man they love, in a cottage far from the crown. Somebody who could smile and laugh.

"Okay show-offs, Hector play the guitar, Max play the piano. We will show you guys how it's done." Dawn announced and handed Hector the guitar. "You know what to play," she winked at Hector.

Hector nodded and started playing the guitar, and played a very upbeat song. I recognized the song and played along quickly. It was a song I had to learn for practice and it was rather complicated but I have had it memorized for a long time so I will be fine.

I looked over to see Dawn and Petal swing dancing to the old song. It was amazing. I don't know how they did it but the way they danced was jaw-dropping. They glided across the floor spinning so fast I didn't know where to look. Or how to process it.

Their leg's moved so quickly and the way they hopped made me nervous that they were gonna fall but they didn't. Their movements were perfectly in sync like they have practiced so many times that it was engraved in their bones. I never knew dancing could be like this.

The dances I have seen seemed so rehearsed and lifeless but this was different. I watched the dance and the happiness and trust that radiated from this room. Hector gets to live like this all the time, I can't help but feel jealous. I continued playing the piano happily and just wanted this to be forever.

Hector was playing the guitar happily as he watched them dance with a smile on his face. I never felt the time pass. Everything was perfect, everything was a dream. It was all I wanted and more. It was here in front of me and I was playing the music for this dream.

I didn't want the night to end but then the sun was coming up. I looked out of the window and watched as the sun peeked out from behind the trees.

"Okay let's get some sleep tonight," Petal smiled and clapped letting us know to clean up.

"Aww, one more song?" Hector and Dawn asked at the same time looking at Petal, their hands clamped together begging. They were amusing to watch. But I was too exhausted to even try to get a better look at his adorable face. She shooed them away and they sighed in defeat and stood up.

"Max, you can go sleep in Hector's room," Petal said as she began picking up some things. I nodded, mumbled a thank you, and then followed Hector down the hall. I felt like my legs were going to give out on me, I felt like just passing out on the floor. That would be very dirty though. And unsanitary.

"Get as comfortable as you would like," Hector said before walking across the hall into the bathroom. He looked so cute when tired. I took my shoes off and put them in the corner. I sat down on the bed and fell back on it. It felt like my body let out a sigh of relief. I looked around the room. I looked at the plants he had lined up against the window so that they could get sunlight.

I closed my eyes and laid on the bed, it felt so calming to be somewhere else. Somewhere away from the stresses and the chaos, from the arguments. It was a safe space. It was somewhere to go to when I needed anything.

I heard footsteps and some rustling, I opened my eyes to see Hector sitting on the floor untying his shoes. He set them in the corner, near my shoes. He took his glasses off and set them on the nightstand. It was endearing to see him get ready for bed. Sure I spent the night with him yesterday too, but this time it felt different.

I watched as he dug through his dresser, and he was doing something with his shirts, I don't know what though. I watched as he spent some time going through his shirts. He set something back down next to his cup full of paintbrushes.

He yawned and walked over to bed and I scooted against the wall to give him room to lay down. He laid down and I rolled over to lay down on him. He smiled softly as I laid my head down on his chest. The rise and fall of his chest, and the scent of lavender, being the most comforting thing in the world.

"Goodnight Maxxy," he whispered softly. I melted into the touch and took in the feeling. The feeling of his hands on my back as he gently rubbed it. I felt goosebumps spread over me and I let myself close my eyes. This was perfect. I didn't know I could trust somebody this much. Never thought I would be able to let myself go in front of somebody. I drifted off into sleep feeling nothing more than a kiss on top of my head.