27: Not-Friends

"Max, are you okay? " Micah asked. "You zoned out really bad there for a moment," she said concerned. I nodded to let her know that I was fine. "Okay, we should head back anyway." She quickly took off down the road.

I took off after her. We ended up at the base rather quickly. I then noticed the news station that was there at the base. I felt like swearing. The cameras turned to us. I ignored the reporter that began asking me questions. It was the first time the people have seen me since the death of my father.

I got off of the horse. I then noticed that Eddie was the one retrieving my horse to put her away. I was concerned if he was going to get offended that my horse was a girl. I wondered if he thought she wasn't cut out for the job. Since she was a girl and he is a fool.

Every single one of the generals was here. They were all lined up. Micah was there with me. General Hall was talking to the reporter, giving the people a very important update.

"King Maxwell, is about to greet all of the generals for the very first time. This is a very exclusive moment," the reporter excitedly told the camera. I faced the line of generals. I am expected to shake every single one of the generals' hands. Micah is the only lady general. Eddie is watching. I am supposed to shake every single hand here. I, of course, am not going to do that.

"He is now greeting them," the reporter smiled. I nodded at each of the generals as I walked down the line of them. Nothing more, nothing less, just a nod.

I then got to Micah. I held my hand out to her, "Thank you for your service General." She looked at me surprised and smiled. She gave me a firm handshake. I then continued down the line. I am the king, I could make a change.

I finished and walked away. I entered the dome again. The camera just recorded me leaving.

I entered the gym again. I froze when I saw Everett and Luca in the middle of an argument.

"Lulu I'm fine," Everett yelled, throwing his water bottle to the floor. He hid his face in his hands and cried. Everett started coughing in between his cries. He looked hopeless.

"Lucille and you will always be better than me. You will always be better now matter how hard I try and try and try. You guys will be the heroes, and I will just be here," Everett cried. His nose was red. He was sick. "So I'm sorry that I want to try. You will always win. I am sick and I break. I saw you two on that battlefield."

"Rett-" Luca began.

"I saw you two get all of those awards. You guys were fifteen and getting awards from the king. I was in a wheelchair in the audience with broken legs. I want to be good at something. I am trying so hard."

Luca pulled Everett into a hug.

I walked out of the gym. I walked through the shooting range. I ignored the gunshots. I was free from anger. To accept the truth that my heart belongs to a murderer was freeing. We are on different sides of this war. His people won't stop until I am dead, my people won't stop until he is dead.

No amount of I love you's are going to stop a war, but I will say them.

I walked towards the snackbar staring at the floor. The most embarrassing thing that could possibly happen happened. I bumped into Lucille.

When I bumped into her, I was the one to fall. She didn't even move, she was that much stronger than me. She looked down at me as I sat on the floor processing the disaster.

Her hair was wet like she just took a shower. She was wearing a crop top with long sleeves and black shorts with fishnets under them. She was also wearing a black face mask like those people wear when sick.