14: Beautiful World

I like the way his hand fits into mine. I like how his hands are bigger than mine. I like the touch, the warmth, the lavender. I just like Hector, everything about him. I could worship the ground he stepped on, because I knew he would do the same.

"What's your idea Hector?" I asked, as we swung our arms back and forth.

"It's a surprise," Hector said with a smirk and I let out a huff. I'm not the biggest fan of surprises. They are very unnerving, because anything could happen. Like those pranks that I see on the internet. If Hector pranks me I will be very upset. But maybe it could be very fun, I'm not sure. Either way, I will not appreciate it.

Hector was humming as we walked. I looked around the forest. I listened to his humming of a song I couldn't recognize. Either way it sounded like a good song because Hector was the one humming it. He could make a monstrosity beautiful.

We walked and eventually we got to the cottage and I looked at him excitedly. "Okay, what's my surprise?" I asked.

"I need to go set up the surprise, you stay here in the cottage," Hector explained. I paused, slightly disappointed that I couldn't get the surprise already. But I was also nervous about having to wait in the cottage by myself.

"But what if somebody shows up or a bear? Or-" I began panicking. The walls began to laugh, the voices deciding to come back. He held out his finger gently placing it on my lips. He silenced me and the whispers.

"Shh, don't worry, I won't let anybody or anything hurt you, look, you could watch a movie while you wait for me. I will be back in no more than thirty minutes," he comforted and walked into the cottage with me. He led me to the couch. I sat down. I took the hood off my head and removed the sunglasses.

Hector walked over to the tv and put in the VHS tape of Snow White and pressed play so the advertisements could play. He walked over and looked at me. "I will be back before you realize I'm gone," he kissed my forehead as I sat on the couch. I watched as he walked out of the front door.

I held a pillow on my lap and looked at the tv to try to distract myself. That is when I realized I have never been home alone before. I began to panic, I looked around nervously.

In seventeen years of my life, I have never been home alone. Even if my parents weren't home there were butlers and maids, chefs, staff, and guards outside making sure nobody came into the palace. And when I was here at the cottage Hector was here with me.

This was a test of courage and I was failing miserably. Every sound made me jump. The whispers filled my ears telling stories about my own death. My own murder. A simple shadow made me jump, as did the shadow people. I grabbed a blanket from the couch and put it on just to hide. I felt like I was wearing a cape. I was bundled up in the blanket.

I looked back at the tv and tried to focus on it, but I kept on checking my phone to see the time. It was four. It has only been five minutes since he left.

Another two minutes passed.

"I give up," I whined and fell out of my sitting position onto the couch dramatically. I stared up at the roof with the blanket wrapped around me still. This has been the scariest thing I have ever done.

I turned over and looked at the tv, I watched as the movie played and tried to calm down but every sound from the forest terrified me. Normal people could handle being home alone, but I have never done this before.

This was an evil surprise.

I looked at my phone and was relieved to see that somehow he will be back in five minutes. Not to be rude or anything but Snow White's voice is quite annoying. I find a lot of things annoying though.