25-Pretend

"Run." Everett yelled out of nowhere. Roger grabbed my arm and we ran for our lives. I stumbled along being my usual clumsy self. I eventually gained my balance. I didn't make the connection about why we were running until it was too late. I heard it before I felt it.

It was the loudest sound I have ever heard. The air was pulled out of my lungs. I flew backwards. My eyes shut due to shock. I didn't realize how lucky I was until after. I hit the floor and wondered if I had died.

I was scared that if I opened my eyes the Grim Reaper would be standing there. I wondered if they would take me to Heaven or Hell.

A billion stab wounds surrounded my body like a painful hug. I was getting pricked everywhere. I hated it. It wasn't too painful, just annoying. I wiped my eyes with my sleeve before opening them. I wish I didn't open my eyes.

A soldier lay on the floor screaming while looking down at where their legs used to be. Their friend was trying to drag them away. I felt like throwing up. Red, so much red.

Then the beeping continued. It was under me. I glanced down and saw a landmine. I don't want to die like this. The curse, the curse. I am destined to die young. I looked around for my father, ready to beg him for help. He was nowhere to be found.

I was alone.

"Max."

I froze in silent horror when I recognized the voice. I wanted it to be a hallucination. Hector was standing behind a tree. The real one.

I wanted to scream at him to stay back to go away. But at this point I was helpless. I didn't want to die alone.

"Look at me, you will be fine, just trust me," he sounded like he was trying to convince himself. He hopped over landmines heading towards me.

"It will blow up if you move too much, okay?" He reassured me. He looked around for a way to solve the problem. He is going to kill me right now. It's the perfect opportunity.

"You are going to be fine," he comforted some more. Hector's eyes shined blue. I was lifted off of the floor. It felt like a tight hug.

The landmine exploded. Debris flew towards me. I closed my eyes waiting for it to hit me. It never did.

The rocks flew back to the floor like the wind was pulling them away from me. I looked over at Hector who seemed focused as he held his hands in the air. One hand was higher than the other, the one keeping me in the air. The other was pushing the rocks away from me, to keep me from harm.

I looked at his face, the same look he had the night he found me at the ball. Was it fear? Or was it questioning why he saved the boy he wanted to kill? Either way, I want to hate him. I want to never see his face again. Why does he look at me the way my father looks at my mother? Why does he look at me like I'm the most important thing in the world?

He set me down gently. My knees gave out under me and I fell onto the floor. "Are you okay?" He ran over to me. That is when I noticed the blood dripping from his nose. The tanzanite, it hurt him. I scooted away from him when he held his hand out at me. His hand quivered for a moment before it dropped back to his side. The ring on his finger being a reminder about what led us here. A promise built on murder and lies.

"I know," he looked at my hand and saw that the ring was gone. He looked heartbroken. I thought about every hallucination I had of him. The hands that wouldn't stop verus the murderer who stood in front of me. They were so different.

"Step away from his majesty, Prince Maxwell."

I turned to see a random soldier standing there, looking angry but horrified. They had their gun aimed at Hector.