5: May I Have This Dance?

Hector and I still remained standing on top of the staircase looking down at everybody. I didn't know when the perfect moment to go down would be.

Hector looked around excitedly and turned to see the orchestra playing music. I watched as he practically spun around trying to take in the whole ballroom. He stared at the gold glittering architecture that filled the place.

People already began dancing and others were still talking to one another catching up. It has been a while since we have held a ball. I watched as couples met in the center of the ball room. Girls had their arms around their girlfriends, boys had their arms around their boyfriends, and boys had their arms around their girlfriends. They began dancing around the room elegantly like it was some fairytale.

"How are they not dizzy?" Hector asked as we watched the pairs dancing around the room. I've done this waltz hundreds of times during my studies and quite frankly I still get dizzy.

"You do get dizzy,"

Hector was leaning over the railing while we stood at the top of the staircase and looked down as the dances continued. I was more confused on how everybody knew to do the exact same dance until I saw Miss Dubois standing by the orchestra watching the dance. She had long red hair and very pale skin, she was wearing a sage ballgown. Her makeup was done perfectly as well. Her wife, Eleanor, was standing beside her. Eleanor was quite beautiful with dark skin, she had her braids pulled into a bun. She was wearing a dress of the same sage green color.

Eleanor was a ballroom dancer too, she was very kind to me and helped me with my dancing. I always struggled with dancing more than the others. Miss Dubois did not seem too happy with the ballroom dancing but Eleanor seemed impressed.

Judging by the way they were watching, it's a performance by their students. They try to get me to join in on the performances but I always refuse. I always get forced to practice with the students though so I always know the dances.

"How do they even do that?" Hector was staring down at the dancers as they continued with their performance.

"I can teach you," I offered looking over at him.

I grabbed his hands gently and put them at the right spots and I carefully put my hands on him. "I will let you do the girl part since that's what you requested," I spoke softly. "Now copy me." I began dancing with him. I was blushing and so was he but we managed to dance. He made a couple of mistakes but I brushed them off. Not everybody gets ballroom dancing training instead of PE for school. If my education on the public school system is correct he played dodgeball instead.

My father was actually the one who taught me how to dance mostly. He would take me to one of the empty ballrooms and tell me where to step. As a small child I would put my feet on top of his and we would go around the ballroom dancing. He looked at me like I was a star. I was his whole solar system. He talked about me like I was his greatest work. The thing he was most proud of. He is a King, a war hero. I have done nothing worthy of such praise. He still said it though.

"When I talked about the girl part I was talking about singing," Hector complained softly and I tried to not laugh at his complaint. I twirled him around which was hard since he is a bit taller than me. I had to go on my tippy toes to properly twirl him. "Aww I don't get the flowy dress," he joked.

"I can buy you one if you really want one," I pulled him back when he did the twirl and we continued dancing. The song the orchestra was playing changed but I ignored it. I was happy we were up on the top of the staircase away from everybody else.

"Now let me twirl you this time," Hector smiled and grabbed my hand and made me spin in a circle. I blushed darkly when he pulled me back. I looked at his blue eyes that never seemed to shine as much as they do now.