Chapter 20: Turbulence in the Night of Asakusa (Pt. 2)

Recap of last chapter:

Nezuko and Tanjiro arrived at Asakusa.

As they explored the town, Tanjiro suddenly encountered the presence of Kibutsuji Muzan with his special scent. However, in order to protect his younger sister, he decided to run away instead of confronting the progenitor demon.

The near-contact with Kibutsuji and his violent outburst of emotions caused Tanjiro's demon cells to activate and go out of control; his Blood Demon Art manifested in the form of a violent outburst of fire.

As Nezuko lost consciousness in the violent flames created by Tanjiro, she saw strange flower patterns filling the air, extinguishing the fire and putting them all to sleep.

* * *

"..............."

——Nezuko opened her eyes to a wooden ceiling she didn't recognise.

As she blinked, a numb pain shot through the back of her eyeballs, inside her head. At the same time, a powerful dizziness welled up inside her.

"........!!"

The sudden headache made her close her eyes in agony; she lifted her hand heavily and pinched between her eyes, adding pressure to her skull in an attempt to ease the pain.

After bearing the discomfort for a few seconds, she slowly lowered her hand, and opened her eyes again.

".............where... am....."

Her voice was coarse as she spoke.

As she forced her upper body up on the mattress she had been lying on, she flinched in response to a wave of nausea that had arisen as a result of her sudden movement. She covered her mouth, feeling a sudden urge to vomit.

".....ugh.........."

Nezuko took a deep breath as her nausea slowly eased. Even yet, her internal sense of balance felt somewhat off: feeling as if her body was sinking underwater, despite her being on land.

With a weak gaze, Nezuko slowly scanned her surroundings.... first, at the bed she had been sleeping on.

It was a wooden bed with frames and legs — unlike a futon mattress that she was used to sleeping on, it was a western-styled elevated bed that were rarely seen in countrysides of Japan.

Nezuko unsurely shifted her gaze to her surroundings: she was in a small room brightly lit by an electric bulb on the ceiling. Other than the bed she was on, the interior was hardly furnished — a wooden chair near the wall, a small side table, an open door leading to a corridor, and a window through which she could see a dimly-lit evening exterior.

She blankly gazed at the room in front of her for a while, while she furiously tried to gather her thoughts together inside her head.

——Where, is this place....?

——I can't remember well... why did I end up here.......

She held her forehead in a painful scowl, as she racked her hurting brain to recall through her memories...

————A bright flame with hues of purple and orange flashed before her eyes.

——At the same time, her body remembered the immense pain that had burned her whole from a point blank range—— sending a violent chill through her body.