Chapter 3: Departure

"What should we do, Onii-chan?"

Nezuko asked Tanjiro as they sat together on the side of the house on the engawa — a balcony-like area built into a Japanese traditional house. There they looked out at the snow-covered scenery before them.

Snow had started to fall soon after Nezuko finished burying their family members. She saw that it was now piling up on their graves.

Nezuko narrowed her eyes sadly from the sight, fighting back tears.

She had firmly decided not to cry earlier. She was about to break that promise to her family just after a few minutes after her determination.

"Uuu...?"

Tanjiro moaned next to Nezuko.

He had turned his body and was looking into Nezuko's face with his brows lowered.

For some reason, Tanjiro's body had shrunk to the size of a young boy — around the size of Shigeru. The clothes he wore were too big for him and were baggy. Because Nezuko didn't know if his shrunken body size was permanent or otherwise, she let him wear his usual clothes in case he returned to his normal size again.

Nezuko smiled softly to Tanjiro. "Let's cook some food first. We can think of what to do afterwards." She said, running her fingers lightly over Tanjiro's hair.

If Onii-chan really turned into a demon, we can't possibly lead a normal life. Nezuko thought. Besides, I alone can't continue burning charcoal for a living. We have to abandon this house... How will I make a living... would I have to sell myself...?

"Food, huh...." Nezuko looked back at the snow-ridden scenery, narrowing her eyes. "It's not like I have any appetite, though...."

"....?" Nezuko turned; Tanjiro had shifted his small body closer to her, and had hugged her. He buried his face into Nezuko's chest and moaned.

"Uuu!"

"Are you... cheering me on?"

"Uu!!"

Tanjiro seemed to nod in affirmation. Nezuko's face slowly turned into a smile -- a warm feeling entered her heart.

What matters? I have Onii-chan with me... whatever awaits me, I'll get over it.

"Thanks, Onii-chan...."

—————————————fwish.

In the corner of her vision, Nezuko saw a shadow enter the white scenery, jumping out from the trees. Silently, the figure closed the distance towards their house in an instant.

A metallic object that the figure carried reflected the light off of the snow.

--A sword.

"——Onii-chan!!!"

Nezuko realised in the split second that the sword was aimed towards her older brother. She grabbed his small body and pushed him to the floor, she herself crouching over him from above.

Her long hair floated through the air———

The sword was swung horizontally where Tanjiro's head was initially, in which space Nezuko's floating hair was now. The attack cleanly went through her black hair and slashed it cleanly off.

Nezuko did not feel a single sensation as a large chunk of her hair flew through the air and fell all around her. That was how clean the slash had been.