Chapter 14: VS. The Hand Demon

-- NEZUKO POV --

The second night of the Final Selection was quickly approaching in the form of sunset.

Nezuko was getting ready for the night to come — she attached her katana to her belt and wore the fox talisman mask crafted by Urokodaki on her head.

As she prepared, Nagisa spoke to her from behind.

"——Nezuko-san."

"Yes?"

Nezuko turned; the grey-haired girl was looking at the red sky, her back facing her. Because of that, Nezuko couldn't see her expression.

"I.... was thinking."

The girl said, her voice slightly wavering.

"......we should perhaps go different ways from now on."

"Eh.......?"

Nezuko was unable to immediately react to the girl's sudden request, and only was able to release a short mutter in response.

——Why... all of a sudden?

The two of them moving together as a group would definitely increase their chances of survival. An intelligent girl like Nagisa should have understood such a fact.

——Is she worrying that she'll drag me down...? No, that doesn't make sense....

This was because the two of them were almost balanced in terms of fighting ability.... Nagisa, as a former Tsuguko, was perhaps slightly stronger than Nezuko.

Nezuko thought about how Nagisa's expression had been somewhat dark ever since she had talked about her being a former Tsuguko earlier that day.

Nezuko hesitated slightly, but asked anyway.

".......Why is that, Nagisa-san?"

"................."

Nagisa didn't answer immediately. Instead, she let out a trembling sigh.

".........I apologise. Please forget what I said."

She turned around and gave Nezuko a forced smile.

".......Shall we get going?"

".....y-yeah...."

Nezuko muttered unsurely as she watched Nagisa start walking towards the forest.

—A bad premonition was entering Nezuko's heart as she chased after Nagisa.

Like that, the second night of Final Selection began.

* * *

——A powerful gust of gale-force wind in a storm.

——A dynamic flow of water in a violent ocean tide.

The two contrasting elements sliced through the enemies one after another.

—The pinnacle of the two battle styles.... the Wind Hashira and the Water Hashira.

Whilst these two current Hashiras were, on a personal level, very incompatible with one another.

—The two Breathing Styles were, in reality, very compatible in combat.