Chapter 7: Training! Life at Mt. Sagiri (Pt. 3)

Recap of last chapter: Tanjiro woke up!!

- - - - -

Urokodaki watched with narrowed eyes as Nezuko cried her eyes out in Tanjiro's arms.

The girl had firmly kept up with and endured Urokodaki's harsh training for an entire year, not releasing a single complaint while doing so.

But now, she was wailing just like a small child in the arms of her older brother.

The old man sniffed the air for Tanjiro's scent.

––....Not a slightest smell of hostility.

——Truly unbelievable.....

Urokodaki sheathed his katana and closed the door behind him. He approached the brother and sister embracing each other inside the house.

Gently, he touched Nezuko's shoulder.

"......Nezuko." He called.

The girl turned, her eyes red from all the crying. She stammered.

"U-Uroko...daki...san.... Onii-chan is...."

"——I know." Urokodaki nodded. He circled his arms around the two children and lightly embraced them.

Nezuko was shocked at his body contact —— this was the first incident in the entirety of one year she spent with the old man, that he showed any sign of affection or kindness.

Slowly, more emotions welled up inside Nezuko, and flowed out in shape of more tears. She buried her face in Tanjiro's shoulder, trembling her body between the two embraces.

"I.....I thought.... he'd never wake up... again....."

"Yes. You were worried, were you not?"

"....the idea.... of losing Onii-chan... terrified me...."

"You did well bearing that weight."

Urokodaki squeezed with his arms, hugging Nezuko and Tanjiro closer to him.

"I am glad... for both of you."

Nezuko's quiet sobs and the sound of Tanjiro patting her head continued in the silent night.

* * *

A while later, Urokodaki stood alone outside the house, facing the night sky.

Nezuko had fallen asleep. Her demon brother, who had awoke after an entire year of sleep, was now watching over her protectively.

Tanjiro had been in his normal adult size when he woke up. But now, as if saving his body's energy consumption, he had shrunken his body into the size of a young boy.

——Tanjiro's condition... it is truly peculiar.

Urokodaki thought as he gazed at the stars.

——It is not that he became closer to turning back to a human.

——....In fact, his demonification is more complete than before....yet, he shows no desire for man flesh. Such a thing is unheard of, even during the time I was in the Corps myself.

"Giyu......"

Urokodaki muttered the name of his former student nostalgically.

"......it was as you said. There is something about these siblings that may change the destiny of the Demon Slayer Corps."