Chapter 8: Makomo's Monologue

Recap of last chapter: Nezuko got beaten up by a mysterious boy in a fox mask.

- - - - -

"—————ah."

"Oh, you're awake."

Nezuko sat up, grimacing as her wounds from the fox boy ached on every part of her body. She blinked a few times, realising that the sun had set, while in its place had risen the moon.

"Are you okay?"

A soft voice of a young girl called out from next to Nezuko. She heard the voice, but didn't answer the question; she had a different matter on her mind.

"Did you see that!?"

Nezuko shouted, turning to the source of the voice. A young girl with slick black hair and aqua eyes was squatting next to her, holding her knees and staring into Nezuko's face. A white fox mask with a different design was pushed to the side of her head.

The girl, who heard Nezuko's shout, cocked her head to the side.

"...........?"

"His movements... not a single bit of wasted motion! Not to say his speed and power — what kind of training does he......... and his skills!"

Nezuko remembered her duel with the fox masked-boy, a completely one-sided battle where even with a real katana, she couldn't even chip away at the opponent's wooden sword. She could easily understand that such a performance was only possible with a level of skill achievable only through a gruelling training.

"———I want to become like that! Do you think I can become like him....?"

The girl listened to Nezuko quietly — and replied.

"I'm sure you can......"

She stood up and patted dirt off her clothes. She then looked back at Nezuko sitting on the floor, making a soft smile.

"........because I'll be looking after you."

Nezuko gazed at the girl for a while.

——What a cute girl.... she has a fox mask, is she an acquaintance of the boy from earlier?

"Who..... are you?"

"My name is Makomo." The young girl answered in her soft tone. "And the boy who beat you up, his name is Sabito."

Nezuko scanned around at the scenery. "Where is he.... Sabito, was it?"

Makomo chuckled. "He's embarrassed that he mistook you for a boy. That's why he's hiding right now."

"Ah..... haha....."

Nezuko had tried to point out the boy's mistake as they fought each other, but she was knocked out before she could.

"What's your name?" Makomo asked.

"I'm Nezuko. Kamado Nezuko."

"Nice to meet you, Nezuko. By the way....."

Nezuko noticed that Makomo was not looking at her, but something on her lap——

"Mmmhh!!"

"Onii-chan!?"

Tanjiro, in the form of a young child, had been slouched on Nezuko's lap. Realising that his sister had finally noticed him, he lifted his head and moaned again.