Chapter 6: Training! Life at Mt. Sagiri (Pt. 2)

Dear Onii-chan.

I am keeping this diary for you, so you'll know what has happened while you've been asleep. I sincerely hope that it's not too long until you wake up.

It has been six months since we arrived at Mt. Sagiri.

As always, my morning starts with a climb up Mt. Sagiri. 

This is a good warmup exercise for me; according to Urokodaki-san, moving my body in places with thin air trains my lungs to be strong, and makes my body get used to being low on oxygen.

When I reach the top, I descend the mountain path full of traps. 

I hold a katana on one hand — in the beginning, having one hand blocked with the katana hampered my movements a lot. But now, after months of training with the katana, holding it in my hand became second nature to me. 

I am able to avoid the traps far better than before. It's thanks to the fact that my body is much more sturdy and agile, but also because my senses and reflexes have improved. 

My hearing is able to pick up sounds of traps being released somewhere from between the trees. I am now able to catch the faint sounds of objects flying through the air, and avoid them with quick reflexes. 

I can also feel the ground I step onto waver slightly whenever I approach a pitfall; I am able to react quickly to it and jump over them.

...I'm really thankful I can avoid these traps. Urokodaki-san is for sure trying to kill me; these days, he is sending knives flying at me. Pitfalls are armed with blades at the bottom; with a little mistake, I will for sure end up dead.

The pressure.... the feeling of my life being at risk — improved my performance.

..........I wonder when Urokodaki-san has the time to set these traps though....??

* * *

I train with my sword every day. 

My daily swing was increased to a thousand swings a day. I say this again: Urokodaki-san is trying to kill me.

He taught me how to fight with a katana. 

The thin, one-sided blade was strong in structure vertically, but weak horizontally. Whenever the vector of the force applied to it wavered to the side even in the slightest, it wasn't be able to cut through objects.

A swing with a katana had to be perfectly straight. The direction of the sword's blade, and the force applied in my swing, had to be exactly the same. 

Urokodaki-san told me at the start, "If you ever damage the blade, in other words break it, I will break your bones as well." in a threatening tone of voice.

..........His threat sent shivers through my entire body. 

* * *

Today, I did nothing but fall.

It was a training to break my fall, and to swiftly get up from any position. Of course, with an open blade in my hand.