Chapter 16: Best Friends for Never!

Shoto POV:

"Come on, you're going over to train with Izuku." Dad growls and drags me out of my room. He doesn't even give me a chance to object.

I hate this Izuku kid. He talks too much and he's always trying new dumb things. The last time I had to visit him he tried to jump out of a tree to make his quirk come faster. It's still surprising his quirk hasn't come yet, but I'm sure once it gets here my training will be 3 times harder, and it's going to be his fault. I don't get why I have to 'train' with him anyways, it's still better than training with dad, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

"Shochan!" Izuku opens the door to his house and lets me in.

"Tell your father that I'll be back to get him in a few hours." Dad walks away.

"Mkay, bye-bye. Come on Shochan, let's play in the backyard!" Izuku holds my hand and pulls me through his house.

"I'm not supposed to play. We're supposed to train." I mumble.

"We can play heroes! And that's kind of like training. Unless you really wanna train, I can call your dad and-" He starts.

"No." I glare. There's no way I'm letting him tell dad we don't train when I come over. As nice as it would be to not have to visit Izuku anymore, I prefer annoying games to being kicked around by my dad.

"Oh, okay. So let's play heroes!" He smiles.

"Yeah, whatever. Aren't you going to try more stuff to make your quirk activate this week?" I nod and notice a lack of excitement when I talk about his quirk.

"Um, no actually I went to the doctor and she told me I would be a really late bloomer... but that's okay! Dad promised my quirk would come when it's ready." Izuku waves his hand in front of his face as we walk out into his backyard.

"So you won't get your quirk for a while?" I ask.

"No, I won't. But I'm still going to try my best to be a hero! Even if Kacchan doesn't want to be heroes with me anymore." He sighs.

"Kacchan, that's the friend you're always talking about, why doesn't he want to be a hero with you?" I start to get confused.

"He doesn't think I'll ever get a quirk, and he doesn't want to wait to find out. So he hangs out with all his new friends and he started to tease me like the other kids do... we're still friends though! I'm sure once I get my quirk everything will be fine between us!" He smiles but I can tell it's fake, it reminds me of Fuyumi's smile.

"Then he's not your friend, he's a jerk." I shrug and sit on the ground, making circles in the dirt with my finger.

"He's not a jerk! But, he's not the same as before. Just because Kacchan has changed doesn't mean that he's a jerk. He's strong, super cool, and he's going to be the number 1 hero someday!" Izuku pumps a fist into the air.

"Number 1? Fine, think what you want." I say.

We sat in silence for some while, it was nice. Nobody was talking, we weren't doing dumb things or training! Of course that came to an end when Izuku asked me if I wanted to see something cool. I couldn't exactly say no, he might tell my dad, so I just went along with him. He dragged me out into the forest behind his house, it was dark from the shade given by the trees.

"Look." Izuku points.

"What am I supposed to be looking at?" I mumble.

"The rock." He whispers.

"What about it?" I look at him.

"It's a cool rock!" He smiles.

"I- are you serious? You walked us into a creepy forest to look at a cool rock? Izuku, why?" I ask.