50: Expect It Pt. 1

Sanyu had realized pretty early on that despite his fear of water, extreme cold and extreme heat his most troublesome PTSD triggers were orders and fighting.

Yes, fighting. The thing he did every day in heroic class.

Funny how things like that work out.

He was able to push past the fighting thing most of the time but pushing through it often meant relying on old programming to take the strain off his mind.

But the programming no longer felt safe. It wasn't a reliable, easy way to communicate what he needed or to get things done. When he slipped up it felt like he wasn't in control of his body. Like he wasn't choosing what to do, more just doing them. And that scared him.

So to make a long story short, he was nervous about this joint training thing. Both sides were told to think of the others as villains. Their goal was to put their opponents in some dinky little fake prison with Nezu's face on it. Their field was most of the fake city U.A constructed.

"We're lucky that our numbers are even." Vlad King said gruffly. "Everyone will pick a number out of a box. That's what team you'll be on. Shinso will be participating with class 1-B.".

Everyone lined up and picked a ball with a number on it.

"What'd you get?" Asui asked, holding up her ball with the number '1' displayed on it. Sanyu held up his own, a large '5' on the front.

"Ah, we're in the same group!" Midoriya said with a smile. Sanyu turned and gave him a half smile in return.

"Woah that's gonna be something." Kaminari commented. "Class 1-B doesn't stand a chance against both of you.".

"You really think that?" Monoma said with a smirk, "Last I checked, we're evenly matched. You little newbie and Shinso both lack experience as heroes, so they'll act as equal handicaps.". He looked Sanyu up and down and smirked. "No winter version of your costume? Did they run out of budget or something?" He sneered.

Sanyu glanced at himself. He was in his hero suit with his jacket undone. Monoma was wearing a magician's costume. He couldn't quite figure out how Monoma thought he was the one dressed weirdly. Besides, his suit had a built-in heater. And a cooling unit.

1-A made awkward eye contact with each other. Of course Monoma would say things like that. To him Sanyu had only joined 1-A a few months ago under suspicious circumstances. It probably looked like he got in on a recommendation that the school couldn't ignore.

But knowing the truth...well it made it awkward. If Sanyu had even a smidge of Bakugou's attitude he'd be beating the shit out of Monoma the moment the exercise started.

Unfortunately he was still Sanyu and just stood there, completely uncaring as to what the blond said.

----------- ------------ ----------- --------- ---------- -------- ---------

"Midoriya is our top priority." Yanagi said simply.

"Yeah," The shorter, blueish white haired teen in the robot suit said, "I think using the other team's strategy will work well for us. Close combat isn't our strong suit but if we can stay back we'll win.".

"Then we'll use Shinso's power combined with mine to mind control the green bean and the rest of them will be easy targets. We outnumber them after all." Monoma declared with a smirk.

Shinso wasn't too sure. Something about that other new kid's suit made him not uneasy but suspicious. Like there was something about the design that spoke to his power level, not just him wanting to look cool. There were no extras or details. Just a few glowing stripes and a jacket that looked pretty well worn.