56: In My Blood

"Thank you so much for having me over!" Izuku stuttered out, bowing deeply. Sanyu followed suit, thanking Shoto's sister for inviting them over.

"No, thank all three of you for coming. I've wanted to invite Shoto's friends over for ages now. It was a real stroke of luck that you all ended up at dad's agency." Fuyumi said with a smile. "Now come in, I've just finished cooking and Natsuo is over tonight. I wanted a dinner with the whole family.".

"We're not his damn friends." Bakugou shouted.

Shoto slipped his shoes off and the rest of them followed suit. Fuyumi said something to Enji. He grunted in response and the group made their way to the table.

The food looked wonderful. Despite living in Japan, Sanyu hadn't had traditional Japanese food for a while. Keigo could bake well but couldn't really cook and Tao mostly cooked Chinese food from his childhood. Honestly Sanyu had nothing to complain about there-it was delicious.

"Please, sit down." Fuyumi said, "Let's introduce ourselves again now that everyone's here.". She looked over at the white haired young man, Natsuo, Sanyu presumed. "I'm Fuyumi, Shoto's older sister. I teach at an elementary school nearby. That's Natsuo, his older brother. He's in college.".

There was a beat of silence before Fuyumi laughed. "Shoto, this is where you introduce your friends." She said with a smile. Shoto's mouth formed an 'o' and he looked over at the three of them.

"There are Oyama, Midoriya and Bakugou. They're my classmates in the hero course at U.A." He gestured to the teens.

After that statement a tense silence fell over the table. Natsuo and Enji made eye contact, well more like Natsuo glared at him.

Fuyumi clapped her hands together. "Well let's eat while the food is hot! If there's anything you don't like, don't feel pressured to eat it, I won't be sad." She said with a smile.

"That's so kind of you." Izuku said with a wide smile, "Thank you for the food.".

"Yes, thank you very much." Sanyu said with a nod.

Izuku immediately launched into a rambling rant about the fried chicken. Bakugou then shouted at him to stop ranting.

"I'm not surprised it's so good." Natsuo said with a small smile, "Our housekeeper had a back injury and retired early so Fuyumi's been in charge of cooking for a while now.".

"You used to cook too Natsu." Fuyumi said with a smile. "Wait, did that mean I ate your food as a child?" Shoto asked. He looked so eager to learn about his own childhood. It was nice, but concerning.

"Who knows. Probably not, after all he always kept a close eye on your diet." Natsuo directed that right at Endeavor. Enji set his bowl of rice down.

"I suppose there is truth to that." He said simply.

Natsuo cast a complicated look at his father before setting his own bowl down and standing up. "I showed like I said I would. Thank you for the meal." Natsuo said.

"Wait-" No, Yumi. I just can't do this.".

With that he closed the sliding door behind him.

The room fell into an even tenser silence. Sanyu thought about the interaction for a moment before realizing Natsuo reminded him of someone. Yuliana.

They weren't the closest, but they were still closer than most best friends. More like relatives. She was resentful and angry, like Natsuo. More so about Haemon's suicide than anything else.

She was part of the original Six, the one formed long before Sanyu even had his powers. And she had lost all of them except Jackson. That loss had made her uneasy around everyone who joined the Six after that. She was still kind and on missions she always managed to give him one of her heating or cooling packs.