Prologue

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of this story. These characters belong to Richelle Mead.

Summary:

In this world, there are 3 races of Vampires, Moroi, Dhampirs, and Strigoi. Moroi, also known as living vampires, need a small amount of blood approximately 3 times a day to survive. They wield one of the 5 elements, Fire, Earth, water, air, and Spirit. They do not kill to survive and their bite gives the bitten person a sort of euphoric high. They are ruled by a monarch and have royals. Vasilisa Dragomir (Lissa), Rose's best friend, is the last of her bloodline and is, therefore, a princess. Dhampirs were created from relations between humans and Moroi. These relations later became considered animalistic and Dhampirs are now created through relations between Moroi and Dhampirs. Dhampirs cannot reproduce with each other. They have enhanced speed and senses. They are trained in academies, like St. Vladimir's, to protect Moroi from Strigoi with combat skills. Strigoi are the undead vampires who drink blood and kill to survive. They are faster and stronger than all other vampires. Moroi and Dhampir blood makes them stronger. They can be killed using a silver stake, burned to death, or decapitation. They cannot go into the sun and have white skin and red-ringed eyes. Lissa can wield the element of spirit. It is known well and is rare. In a car crash, that killed Lissa's family, Lissa brought Rose back from the brink of death, making rose shadow-kissed. This means that she can see ghosts and feel the aftereffects of Spirit, including mood swings and extreme rage. Rose was in love with her mentor, Dimitri Belikov, but they could not be together as it would interfere with their jobs. This alternate universe starts when Dimitri has left. Not your typical Dimitri leaves Rose story.

***********************************************************************************************

I knew it would happen sooner or later. I'm just glad it was the former. He could only have one or the other. He chose the other. He could have me or a family with a Moroi woman. With her. I was foolish to think that he would stick around, that he would give up his only desire, children, but I also thought I would be enough for him. And even though he said he could live without kids, my thoughts still lingered. What if this happened ten years down the line? What if he never left and grew to resent me? No, I wouldn't think that way. He deserves this; he deserves family, even if it isn't with me, even if it means he has to leave me behind. I will be happy for him even though he chose this life, even though he chose her. And the thought hurt me more than I'd like to think.