Chapter 15

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of this story. These characters belong to Richelle Mead

RPOV

Slowly, I awoke from my slumber. Adrian was still lying next to me, on top of my comforter. Looking over at his peaceful form, I couldn't help but feel bad.

Adrian was a great guy, he really was. Underneath his vices and flirting nature, he was a big softy. I wish I could love him the way he does me. It hurt to say it but if he was waiting on the fence for me, he would probably wait forever. Waiting for a girl who was lost, who was beyond repair, was pointless.

It's odd but in a way, it's better that I don't love him, because every time I love someone, they leave me behind. I loved Dimitri and he loved me too; I know that. Nobody could falsify the look in his eyes, the stolen kisses, or that oh so perfect night. Nobody could fake the relief after finding me in Spokane, or the concern when I had seen Mason. But, despite all of that, he still left. Sometimes true, carnal desires are more powerful than love. Dimitri's had been children. And that's how I knew I loved him.

I loved him so much that I was willing to let him go if it made him happy. And I knew that despite what he said, I wouldn't always be enough. Someday he would want kids and then what would we do? Plus Dimitri was a family guy and I would never force him to give up what he wanted for my selfish reasons.

Adrian peeked an open at me and smiled, running a hand through his hair.

"How'd you sleep? Did I chase away the nightmares?" He said, voice thick.

I cracked a smile and nodded my head. He full-blown laughed and held me close to him.

"I told you you'd get through this. You're going to be okay just fine, I know it."

"Thanks so much, Adrian, for all of this."

"It's never a problem."

He got out of my bed after that, put on his shoes, and raced back to his room before anyone could catch him sneaking out of my room. Getting out of bed and ready for the day, I made my way to the cafeteria. Grabbing yogurt, 2 chocolate donuts, and a granola bar, I sat next to Lissa. We chatted for a while about what was going to happen after graduation. I didn't think I was mentally prepared to be a full-time guardian just yet and so did Lissa. She realized how despite my better behaviour, I had lost a child less than a month ago and I was not okay.

The rest of the day progressed as normal, combat, pre-calculus, Stan being an ass, etc. I was still bleeding and I didn't have to take part in my combat classes, but that didn't mean I was any less tired.

Barely making it to my room, I saw a tall, dark figure standing and knocking on my door. Hearing footsteps, he turns and looks at my face.

It's him. He's here and he looks so sad. Pained, almost. I walk towards him. Turning the key I open the door and he takes the unspoken invitation and enters as well.