Chapter 14

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of this story. These characters belong to Richelle Mead

Dimitri's Point of View

I was lying back against my headboard with a battered copy of "Lonesome Dove" in my hand. The scent of the old pages filled the air around me as I opened the book to the first page of my all-time favourite. As I read the introduction for the third time in the 2 years I've had the paperback, I couldn't help my mind wandering off to the one that would laugh at me. Rose.

The woman who enters my every thought. The woman who was beyond beautiful. Who entered my dreams out of sheer imagination. But my imagination could never do her justice. She was too perfect for words. Her flaws made her all the more beautiful. And I had left it all behind

Maybe you're thinking, "You dumbass, why would you leave such an amazing girl?" My exact thoughts. The only way they could ever separate me from my Roza is through force, through duty.

And that's exactly what they did.

I still remember the day I got the call that made me leave.

Flashback:

I was lying in my bed. I had just got off my shift and my thoughts wandered off to Rose. We had consummated our love just 1 week ago, a day before the attack that nearly claimed my life.

I was going down in those caves; the Strigoi had caught me by surprise. I knew it was over and I didn't mind dying if it meant everyone lived, if it meant Roza lived. But just as I fell, I saw the angel herself emerge taking charge and staking those Strigoi. That was the last thing I saw before the blackness engulfed me.

I had passed out after that but when I had woken up, Alberta had told me of Rose's heroic part in my life. She had fought off both Stan and her mother to save me. That had taken real guts.

I was drawn back to my bed as the high-pitched shriek filled my ears. It was a private number.

"Belikov," I said, answering the call.

"Ah, Guardian Belikov, good to hear from you. It's Tatiana," replied the Queen casually.

"Your Majesty," I started but she cut me off.

"Let's cut to the chase, shall we? I'm concerned about a certain document you handed in recently. You want to get a new assignment, correct?" She said quickly.

"Yes," I replied.

"Well, instead of an assignment, I will be sending you out to Russia on a mission. You will have to retrieve some information for me but it will take about 6 months. My jet will be there for you shortly," she said as she cut off the phone.

I was heartbroken to leave Rose behind but this was a direct order from the Queen. I would probably be detained for refusal to cooperate.

And so, that night I left St. Vladimir's Academy.

The Queen had sent me out for the 6 months as planned and I'm now back at Court, figuring out what I would do next. My suite in guest housing allowed me to reminisce about the last time I was here. It was when vrajitoare had told me my fate. I think that's what Roza saved me from but maybe it is yet to come.

Thinking about the call I had gotten just days ago from my krasivitsa, I was concerned. I thought of the worst possible situations but I would have probably heard if St. Vlad's had been attacked. In one way, I was so happy to hear her voice, despite how upset it was. I had longed to hear her sarcasm and playfulness through the phone. But when her voice sounded raspy and like she had aged a century in the 6 months I was away, I was troubled.

It pained me that she was hurting and I had no other connection with her except through the phone. That I couldn't hold her close and tell her how much I loved her. But sometimes other things, like orders from the Queen, can tear me away from the moments I want to have.

My walk along the gravel pathway soon came to an end as I reached my destination. I leaned over the oak counter, my height looming over the blonde girl with blue glasses. She looked at me and smiled.

"Hi sir, how can I help you?" She spoke softly, her lips trembling.

"I need to take the first flight to Montana."