Chapter 10

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of this story. These characters belong to Richelle Mead

"Rose? Rose, darling, you need to wake up. You need to hold your baby."

My baby? What? I was only 5 and a half months pregnant, I can't have my baby now.

"What?" I said groggily.

" Rose, you were assaulted and you were losing a lot of blood. The baby was dying and we had to give you an emergency C-section. She's alive but she's not going to live for long. We want her to have her last moments with her mom."

Her. The doctor said her. I had a baby girl and would never get to enjoy being with her the way I wanted.

She was attached to a monitor and a small pad was over her heart. The doctor handed her to me and I held her close to me as I sobbed softly. She was absolutely beautiful. I could see she would look like me if she'd grown. I started whispering to her.

" Hi. I'm your mama and you are the most perfect baby girl, my perfect girl, Alina. Your daddy might not love you but I hope you always know that I love you so much that it hurts. And I'm sorry that you don't get to have the wonderful life you should. That's my fault baby girl. You deserve the world and more, you deserve all the love and happiness of the world. And I'm sorry you don't get that. Sometimes life just isn't fair."

I think the doctor sent my mom in because she was standing next to my bed.

" Mom, meet your granddaughter, Alina Aria Hathaway," I managed to say between tears.

She just looked at Alina and tears streamed down her cheeks. "Hi, baby girl, I'm your nana." She ran her finger along Alina's forehead and nose.

"I don't want her to leave me. Please don't let them take her away," I cried hysterically.

Her heart monitor started beeping rapidly and the doctor came in to silence the machine. I held on to her as tight as I could without hurting her. My mom put an arm around me as I just sobbed all of my grief and love for her. Then her pulse slowed and grew fainter. I smothered her with kisses during her last moments.

"I love you so much, it hurts," I repeated. I needed her to know that no matter what anyone said about her, I would always love her. She would never be a mistake to me, she would always be my blessing in disguise. Her pulse faded and the doctor removed the heart pad.

And just like that, my baby girl, my perfect Alina, was gone.

A.N. This was one of the most difficult chapters to write. I actually cried a little while I was typing it.