Chapter 13

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of this story. These characters belong to Richelle Mead

Days passed after the phone call but nothing from Dimitri. I didn't try to call again. I just wanted to be alone. Adrian returned from his trip to Germany he had been on for a few months. A knock sounded at my door.

I walked slowly to the door. I had only been at the hospital for 3 days so I was still healing.

Opening the door a sliver, a pair of emerald green eyes stares back at me. Oh, Adrian, you don't know how much you've missed. Six months you were gone and I experienced some of the worst things in my life.

"Little Dhampir, long time no see," he says, wrapping his arms around me until he hears me wince.

"Are you hurt? What happened?" He asks, concerned.

"What happened, what didn't?" I mumbled before bursting into tears. Adrian's eyes widen in shock before wrapping his arms around me, gently this time, and leading me to the bed.

"Shh, it's all going to be alright," he soothed although he had no idea why I was crying. My cries lessened and eventually stopped.

"Rose, what happened?" He asked slowly.

"Shortly after you left, he left. I didn't realize Jesse and Ralf were still mad at me. I was walking through the corridor when Ralf knocked me out and he. He...," I broke into sobs.

Adrian's eyes widened as if a light bulb had just gone on. "It's okay Rose, you don't have to say it, I understand."

I continued. "A little while later I found out I was pregnant. I was a bit upset at first but after that, Adrian, I was so happy. I was ready to turn my whole life upside down for this baby, but she was taken away. Strigoi attacked and I had to have an emergency C-section. Her name was Alina Aria Hathaway. She was perfect. And then she died in my arms."

Adrian didn't say anything. He didn't have any judgment in his eyes either. Why couldn't I just love him back?

"It's okay. You'll get through this. When was the last time you slept?"

"I don't know," I replied honestly. He started removing his socks and shoes and unbuttoned his sleeves.

"What are you doing?"

"You are going to take a nap, and I'm gonna hope I can chase away your nightmares, even if it's only this once."

I wanted to argue but I didn't have the energy and in all honesty, I missed sleep. The only reason I slept at the hospital was because they gave me sleeping pills. Now I was scared. I was scared to dream of that perfect life where Alina lived and Dimitri came back and everything was ok. No, I wasn't scared to dream, I was scared to come back to reality when I woke up.

Adrian helped me into my bed and he tucked me in. He then lay next to me on top of the covers. At first, I was stiff but after a few minutes, exhaustion took over and I relaxed. Adrian put an arm across my stomach and I leaned my head back against him before drifting off to my first sleep since Alina's death.