Chapter 9

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of this story. These characters belong to Richelle Mead

One and a half months later I've come to a decision. Yes, that's a long time to come to a decision but that's my life we're talking about. I've decided that maybe I could study at a community college and get a job until my baby is old enough to go to an academy. I would work as a guardian after that and visit her as often as possible. I could even work at the Academy when the baby is born. I've spoken to Lissa and she understands that my baby comes first and I don't want to be in a position where I'll have to choose between my best friend and my blood.

I've started planning how I want to make this work and I really think that I can do it all. I'm finally gonna get my happily ever after. Maybe my happiness doesn't lie in a man, maybe it lies in a child who will love me unconditionally. I will always love Dimitri and it still hurts to think of him but I could never have him and I needed to make my peace with that.

Today, Lissa, Alberta and I were going to the mall to buy some stuff for the baby. I don't know the gender yet but I'm hoping it's a girl. Even though she's not Dimitri's, I know he would have loved a baby girl.

I'm excited for this baby. I'll finally have someone who needs me. And only me. Not because I'm protecting them from evil undead vampires but because they love me. I was never really one for kids before but now I love this baby so much, I can't even remember why I wanted an abortion.

I was getting ready to meet the other two by the car when someone knocked at my door. Opening it I was surprised to see my mother. Well, she was more surprised to see me. Specifically my bump.

"Mom?"

"Rose, you clearly have some explaining to do. I pop in to surprise my daughter and I find out she has a big surprise for me," she says in a wary yet not demeaning tone.

"Sit, Mom, I'll explain everything."

And I did just that. From start to finish, my mother knew the whole story. She even cried at some point. Then she did the most unexpected thing.

"Can I feel my grandchild?" she asked, almost worried I would say no.

" Sure," I replied, smiling broadly. My mother wasn't touchy-feely. I was glad she was taking an interest in my pregnancy. She had even asked a few questions about how I was feeling. Maybe my mom couldn't have a relationship with me as a kid but I would welcome her with open arms into my child's life. I wanted her to have all the things I didn't have, including a grandma.

I took her hand and placed it on my stomach. She waited silently and then I saw her eyes light up and smile a beaming smile when my baby gently nudged her hand.

"It's so beautiful," she whispered.

I asked her to join us at the mall and she was happy to come along. So the 4 of us got into the car and drove to the mall in Missoula. We looked around and shopped for unisex onesies, a carrier and a few other things. On the way to the car, my whole day went to shit.

I had decided to go alone and put the bags in the car while Lissa and the others ordered some lunch. I opened the door to put the bags in when I felt someone staring at me. Turning around, a set of red-ringed orbs stared at me before lashing out. I fought as hard as I could but this Strigoi matched my every move. Eventually, I was losing my balance but I had my stake in my hand, ready. Then before I could register what was happening, the Strigoi aimed a rough kick at my stomach that sent me flying back against the car. My body slumped downwards as the Strigoi came towards me. And just before he could snap my neck, I staked him. My vision blurred for a few seconds and black tinged my vision. Soon enough, I was lost in the darkness.