Chapter 17

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of this story. These characters belong to Richelle Mead

The moonlight sliced my pillow and I woke up circled in warmth. There was an arm slung over my waist and a hand over my stomach. He looked so peaceful when he slept, his face clear from the worries of the world around him. I wished this moment could last forever.

I ran my fingers along his jaw and he blinked awake, surprised that I was already up. He wrapped his arm yet tighter around me, pulling me into his chest. This is what I wanted. I just wanted that intimacy that I never got. I just wanted to hold him and cuddle and pretend that there was nothing going on around us. That we were like every other couple.

I wish I could just move on with Dimitri like nothing had happened, but I can't and the truth is, I know Dimitri and eventually he would want to know what happened. It's easier for the both of us if I tell him now.

We both got out of my single bed soon enough and I rushed off to the girl's bathroom on my floor. Dimitri went to shower in his room in guest housing. After we were both ready, we headed to the cafeteria for a light breakfast. It was still early so the cafeteria was pretty empty. We settled in a corner and I ate my granola as he ate his fruit.

"No donuts?" he mused, cracking a half smile.

"No, not anymore," I shrugged.

We ate in silence for a while but eventually I broke it.

"Dimitri, I think you need to know what happened. Completely."

He nodded, ready for whatever I was about to throw at him, silently telling me that I could tell him anything.

" I was pregnant. At first, I thought abortion was the best option. I was just eighteen and I definitely wasn't ready to be a mother. But after that I was so happy. Happy to be a part of this wonderful little life. I was 5 and a half months along when I went to the mall to buy baby stuff with Lissa and my mom. I went out into the parking lot to leave the bags in the car while the rest of them went to the food court. A Strigoi attacked me and knocked me out before I staked him. When I woke up, I was in the hospital and they had given me an emergency C-section because I was losing too much blood. I named her Alina Aria Hathaway. That night she died in my arms.

"I'm not okay, Dimitri. I don't think I'll ever be. Alina will always hold a very special place in my heart. And no matter how much everyone tells me to be strong, I just want my baby back."

Dimitri wrapped his arms around me and for the 3rd time recently, I cried . Crying to Dimitri was different. I didn't feel bad or like he pitied me. He just understood. It was the way we had always been, in sync.

"I think you need to know why I haven't been here for you. About 6 months ago I got a call from Queen Tatiana to go to Russia on a mission for her. She was quite adamant I leave immediately and so, I never saw you before I left. I swear to you, Roza, I wanted to tell you but by the time the call ended, the jet was here and I had to leave. They didn't even let me pack, saying they had stocked clothes for me. I don't know what happened but I wasn't allowed contact with anyone. I can't even remember the key bits of information because they had me compelled to remember only what I just told you. But if I had contact, Roza, I would have called or written or something, anything, I promise."

After he explained why he had left, I knew.

I knew that he was mine and I was his. I knew that I had never stopped loving him. And lastly, I knew that we would get through this together.