Chapter 1

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of this story. These characters belong to Richelle Mead.

The heartbreak became a new constant in my life. I knew at the back of my head that I would always love him but I had to put on a strong face for Lissa. She didn't know that Dimitri and I had more than a student-mentor relationship. I was surprised she hadn't figured it out yet. I mean, it's not like I didn't hide it but I was sure if Adrian taught her to see auras, she would know in one glance.

I hadn't yet come to the social consequences of my actions on Jesse or Ralf. I knew they were still pissed but I haven't bumped into them to know how pissed. I assume that Jesse was very upset. I mean, I almost beat him to death. I don't think he'd get over that too fast.

The Academy hasn't punished me so I'm off the hook. For now at least. After the attack, I don't think they have the time to worry about teenage girls going bat-shit crazy and beating up royal Moroi.

That night had marked a great experience in Dimitri and my relationship. We had been hiding our feelings for so long and that night we had finally given in to our desires. A lustful and love-filled night I hope I never forget.

It is the last day of practice and I'm glad that my muscles can take a break. Maybe Lissa and I could chill in her room like old times. All I really wanted right now was to soak into a hot bath and cry it all out. Even Rose Hathaway needed a good cry sometimes.

I'm on my way to her dorm when I see something out of the corner of my eye. Someone is following me. I round the corner to the Moroi dorms and suddenly turn around to face my stalker. Ralf has a sinister look on his face. I try to run but he catches my hand and yanks me back. I aim a swift kick at his shins and he stumbles. I think I've made it when I feel a tingle. First, a sensation then, terrible anguish. He is burning me from the inside out! I forget that he learned offensive magic in that cult or whatever it was.

"Stop," I whimper. I'm on the floor now, tossing and turning, searching for a way to relieve the pain.

"When Jesse said that you didn't listen, did you?!" he snarls at me, fury filling his eyes.

"Stop," I plead desperately. I was begging now, my pride forgotten.

"No. This time I'm gonna have my way with you," he says before the darkness engulfs me.