Chapter 16

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters of this story. These characters belong to Richelle Mead

I leaned against my bed on the floor, wishing I could just tell him everything but it wasn't that easy. Hell, I didn't even know where he'd been for the past 6 months.

He sat next to me and placed his rough hands over mine, rubbing small circles into them with his thumb. After a few minutes he pulled away.

"We need to talk," I said, my voice hoarse.

He just nodded, as if he didn't trust himself to speak.

"After you left, I...I..." I burst into tears and Dimitri pulled me into his lap. His mother tongue whispered in my ears and he stroked my hair back. My sobs eventually reduced to just a few tears.

"What happened, Roza?" he asked softly.

"After you left, Ralf he...he..." I tried to croak out. "He raped me," I deadpanned. My emotions were like a storm cloud, blurring my vision and muddling my thoughts.

"Oh Roza, no, oh no," he kept muttering, pulling me close to him once again.

" And then I found out I was pregnant," I muttered. I felt sort of guilty for dropping these bombs on him but I needed to tell someone about it and I think no matter who I told, that weight on my shoulders could only be removed by Dimitri.

"I know she wasn't yours, Dimitri but I knew how you always wanted a family and in my mind, sometimes I would just pretend that she was yours. That I had beaten the odds once again and we had conceived a miracle that fateful night. Oh Dimitri, you don't know how much I wished she was yours, so that when she grew older, I could tell her that her father was the only man I ever loved and not the monster that defiled me. But sometimes things just aren't meant to last, because almost a week ago, she died." And I was crying again. Just thoughts of Alina usually brought tears to my eyes. Talking about her was worse.

I was in his arms once again. I don't know how long we stayed like that, but eventually I got sleepy and started dozing off. I didn't want to tell Dimitri everything right now, because it was late and this was a lot to take in. Maybe we could just lie in each other's arms.

That was all I needed tonight. I just wanted to sleep next to someone and cuddle and cling like there was no tomorrow because the truth was, Dimitri and I had never really had that. We were never free to just enjoy each other's touch.

And so, as he held me close and curved himself around me under the heavy quilt, I couldn't help feeling safe for the first time in a long time.

Only 5 chapters left!! I hope I get at least 100 reads on this story. I'd also really appreciate any constructive criticism you may have to have. Your opinions make a difference.