GRIEF AND ANGER

'Trust your instincts and watch as your life sets itself straight.' ~Zaiden Wincrest

"Hello Hope." Sebastien's voice greeted her.

"Where's Nate?" Hope asked without greeting back.

"He's here. Just not mentally present." Sebastien answered her calmly.

"Tell him to get his crap together if he wants his family back." she muttered into the phone.

"Why don't you tell him yourself? Here." Sebastien retorted as he handed the phone to his older brother.

"What do you want now?" Nate grumbled into the phone.

"Stop moping around and get your head under your control. And do you have any idea what your psychopath of a sister has done?" she asked him.

"Not a word against her." Nate responded sharply.

'And there he is.' Hope thought with a smirk. 'The cold heartbreaker of Detroit.'

"You meant the pathetic excuse of a human being that feeds on the misery of children?"

"Hope, enough." Nathanial warned.

"Do you know what Zac thinks? He thinks that he is the reason for the fight between you and Charlie." Hope muttered into the phone as Azil came into view. Instantly she knew something wasn't right.

"Think over it, Nate. All the mess you are in right now, it's mostly her fault." She didn't bother to listen to his response. Right now whatever has Azil looking like a bubbling volcano was more important.

"What's wrong?" she asked, her tone laced with apprehension.

"Little Don." Azil mumbled softly, his voice a stark contrast to his expression. He moved forward pulling her into a careful hug. Hope froze in his arms. Azil wasn't one for physical contact and he never initiated it. Whatever it was has scared her Sentinel and Hope was afraid of what she was about to hear.

Azil hated his position in that instant. For the first time since taking up his position, he truly hated his job. She was already on the edge and he didn't want to deliver the news that would most definitely push her over the edge of a breakdown. He pulled her closer tucking her head under his chin, preventing her from seeing the rage in his eyes. Her body relaxed as she wrapped her hands around him.

"Azil, what happened? You are scaring me." she whispered.

"Rafiq. He's gone." Azil whispered back. Hope's brain took a minute to digest the news and she pushed to get away from him, to see his face and confirm that he was joking. Azil's hold on her tightened as she thrashed in his arms. He didn't fight back as she hit him and muttered about how he was playing a sick joke and that it wasn't funny. He watched as she went through the five stages of grief within minutes.

First came the denial as she fought his embrace. Then came the anger at herself for not protecting him and at Morgan for the accident, followed by bargaining as she asked him if they made a mistake in the diagnosing and the depression followed for a few seconds giving him a glimpse of how empty she was feeling at the moment and finally tears welled up and cascaded down her cheeks as she buried her face into his chest to hide from the world. Acceptance.

The sky rumbled and thunder roared at a distance followed by rain as if the nature was grieving for her and for her loss. Azil held her as she bawled her eyes out. She cried for everyone she lost. Azil held her throughout her breakdown, whispering and apologizing. He made soothing circles on her back in an attempt to calm her but it only made her wail harder. Her sentinel who was a stone statue was showing his care out in the open and that made her cry harder.