SECRETS AND PHONECALLS

'You always have a choice.' ~ Ajax Ryo Sinner

Soraya and his brother cooking together was not the first thing Riven expected to see early in the morning.

"Too salty?" Ajax asked. She frowned at him as she chewed whatever mystery was cooking in the pan.

"Not salty." she said as she swallowed. "Needs more spice."

Riven cleared his throat. Their attention snapped towards him and Ajax stood in a protective stance before her. Riven raised his hands in a harmless gesture.

"It's just me." he said as he eyed Ajax cautiously.

"Luan." She laid a hand on his bicep. Ajax exhaled softly as his body relaxed.

"Don't sneak up on people here. You'll get yourself killed." he snapped. Riven raised an eyebrow in amusement.

"What are you cooking?" he questioned as he poured himself a cup of coffee.

"Potatoes and Chicken." Soraya replied as she pulled Ajax back to the stove.

"What are you doing up, this early in the morning?" Ajax asked as he stirred the curry.

Riven shrugged in response. "Couldn't sleep. Too restless." he muttered as he sipped his coffee.

"So what's the deal with everyone hating you?" Riven asked.

"Riven." Ajax called out, with an undertone of warning. Soraya laughed.

"I like you." she said as she settled into a chair opposite to him. "It's classified."

"More secrets." he grumbled, rinsing his cup.

"She doesn't mean to keep all the secrets." Soraya's voice trembled as she spoke. Riven turned around to face her. She exhaled softly as she stared at him.

"All those secrets, promises, sleepless nights, everything she did, everything she's doing is to keep you safe." Ajax walked around the table and settled down beside her. She closed her eyes, taking in a deep breath before speaking again.

"Remember the names Riven. Rune, Eira, Aliya, James, Cynthia, Hagen and Zephyra, they are some of the people who sacrificed a lot, including their lives to make sure the world is a little better tomorrow than it is today. Hope keeps secrets to make sure their sacrifices don't go to waste." Soraya's voice broke at the end and she inhaled once again.

"I don't know what she told you and honestly I don't care. Just don't make it any more harder on her. She's so close to breaking and that truly scares me, I looked my father right in the eye with a smile before putting a bullet between his eyes and the fact she may have a breakdown scares me."

"You know," Ajax began softly. "You can always come back. It doesn't have to be this way."

Soraya smiled softly at him. Riven felt as if he was intruding on a private moment, still he held his breath and watched.

"I know." she replied. "But this is something I have to do. This has to end. Hope and I, we're going to put an end to this."

Ajax sighed but nodded. He pulled her chair close and pressed a kiss to her temple. Riven's mouth fell open. This was certainly news to him.

"Just remember, Princess." Ajax's voice came out muffled against her. "You always have a choice. I've got a call to make." Ajax stood up, shot a look at Riven. One that screamed 'look after her', before leaving.

"You..., him.." Riven stuttered in surprise. He was answered with a giggle.

"Does anyone know?" he asked after a while.