Nine

Claudia sat before her mobile. It was always comforting, if not in bringing good news in being familiar. It gave her something to do, and she had learned long ago that, if one appeared to have something to do, they were not expected to do otherwise, and were not looked to for tasks. It bothered her that Robot had not checked in. Warsaw was already occupied and the Russian column was split and moving west.

      Besides, Father Kit had not shown. Karl had gone for him in the jeep. He should be back any second, Claudia thought. The waiting was killing her, and the talkative Dracul. All the Vampyres and Wolfbreed she had met and they rarely mentioned the Dracul, except to complain about them when pressed. These two were so chatty: on and on about blood, and what Dracul had to be proud of, and what real monsters they were. She could just bite someone!

      There were excited noises from below. Merideth was saying Karl was back. Claudia shut down the computer for the moment and looked up. Jacob sighed. That meant Kit was with them.

      He came into the room, breathless. "Kit!" Claudia said excitedly, yet they had never been in the same location to recognize each other. It was Kit, and she would have known him without the others, so like someone John would have for a friend, at once elegant and saintly.

      "Forgive me, it was necessary I take over the evening Mass for Father Rej. I spoke as fast as I could. I have the parish bus with me."

      "Let's get going," Claudia said. "I should travel with the Father. The rest split up with Karl or Elzbieta."

      They followed her orders with ease. A computer was a better prop than a clipboard, though those old things really impressed her more. Claudia didn't dare look for a clock. She went directly to Kit after collecting her own bags. "I'm Claudia, nice to meet you finally, will you drive?"

      He laughed warmly. A nod was answer. The two Dracul insisted on being on the bus and so they took them and many of the others. Jacob had gone with Karl and Merideth and just a few with Elzbieta in the Hovercar, which John had suddenly acquired. Karl led their small caravan. The city really seemed deserted.

      There was distant firearms sounding every so often but otherwise it was dead. It made sense that people would be in their houses. Claudia dug into her bag where she sat behind Kit. She looked over the list she had been sent. "Remind me later, if I forget, there is a list you might want from me," Claudia said and then tucked this copy inside her dress.

      "Sure," he said, looked to the road and the jeep below them. "Has Dany been gone long?"

      "A few hours already. I stopped looking at the clock. They must have stopped by now."

      "I'm sorry I was late."

      "You had duties. Neglecting them would have been suspicious. I remember that lesson from my father. Always keep previous engagements, or else they might suspect why you cancelled."

      "Dany did tell me a little about your past."

      "If I believed in God, I would pray you did not turn me in. I am wanted by too many religious terrorists and legitimate churches by now that I can't afford to count them. You could make a good career for yourself in the Catholic Church by turning me in."

      The bus swerved slightly. "Child, I wouldn't."  Claudia wondered if they instructed priests on using such forms of address. "I gather Dany made that mistake once?"

      "Yes. Fortunately I can be forgiving."

      "It is a good quality," Kit said quickly. And then Nicolas butted into the conversation.