Fifteen

The tribe returned to gather before the fire. All the spoils of the day were lain out on blankets and mats to display. These would be seen by the Leader, Lady, and assembled Elders, and then distributed to the various members of the tribe. Today, there were many items scavenged from soldiers, as well as plants, dead wood and stones of interest and animals slain by the hunters.

      There were several DG jackets, and many boots and coats taken from the PU terrorists. From the terrorists, they had also taken a lot of gear including knifes, holsters, sheaths; field glasses, night-vision goggles, canteens, ammo pouches, short range radio communicators, and first aid kits. Though John thought he had told them not to take these, he did see a quantity of silver bullets, as well as some rifles.

      Karina had brought more plants she knew to be of use, and others had brought berries or nuts to show her, so they could learn if they were edible. Also, as they often did, the tribe had brought in found natural objects - pine cones or twigs - just for their beauty, or thinking they could be fashioned into something.

      The hunters had brought another deer - a doe it appeared - a number of rabbits, and two fat birds. Claudia graciously congratulated the tribe with a small bow of her head, managing to look regal, though she had still not dressed since being stripped of her wet clothing.

      "Jayne, Erik," John said, "I thought we said not to take the bullets?"

      Erik looked to Jayne and Jayne looked to Erik. "Yes, but what if we didn't shoot them?" Erik asked.

      "What if we made something after melting the metal?" Jayne asked.

      "Like what?"

      "We don't want to say," Jayne said.

      "It's a good thing," Erik assured John, "a surprise."

      "Let us keep them just a while. You will like our surprise," Jayne pleaded.

      Claudia gave John a nudge with her elbow. "Let them, if the surprise is not good, then we can deal with them."

      John waved his hand for all to continue. Alaric took charge again, getting to be experienced at judging when John wanted him to speak, and at saying the right things. It seemed to go over well, the dismissive wave from John, followed by the orders barked out by Alaric. "Whoever found each item of clothing may keep it if it fits. If it does not fit, you must leave it for the next person who it does fit and has use. If it has use to noone but is an item you think of quality, announce that you will save it for later trade or tribe members to be found."

      Hands dashed in to pick up the boots and coats. Miko stood with a large red wool jacket neatly tailored and trimmed on collar and cuffs in black leather. "Do you want it?" he asked John.

      John looked over the gathered number. There were others who might better fit that jacket, but none who had real need for another jacket, and this was rare, a DG jacket. "Let me see you try it on."

      Miko put his arms into the sleeves. The jacket hung to his knees and he had to push the sleeves up to find his hands. He looked adorable.

      John gestured for Miko to approach. He helped the boy to roll the sleeves neatly. "Alaric was right to say that no one should hoard found items when there are others in need, but in this case, I will tell them it is all right. No one has better need or use for this jacket, and look it suits you."

      The boy put his hands to his hips and looked down at himself. A grin formed on his face. "A fine trophy, Mikolaj," Alaric said.

      "Yes, he looks very brave and handsome, I think," Helena said.