Chapter 5 - Can we be friends?

2005

Mikey stared at your outstretched hand. Could he really take your hand and be your friend? How would you be able to forgive him for 4 years of nothing but rude remarks? He was conflicted, wondering if he even wanted to be your friend. He began to reach for your hand...

And then lowered it.

"I don't know why you see me that way. I've constantly been rude to you because I don't like you." He stated, averting your gaze. He couldn't look at you, he was disappointed in himself. Not only for the way he's treated you, but because he didn't have the courage to take your hand and face his wrongdoings. He figured that after saying that, you would give up. Maybe you would finally realize that it's not worth your time to befriend him. After all, he'd been the cause of so many of your frowns.

He was wrong. "Why don't you like me Manjiro?" He was surprised, you didn't say it in a confrontational way, you seemed like you genuinely wanted to hear him out. He looked at you in hopes of trying to find an answer to your question that he couldn't even answer for himself. Looking at your expression of kindness towards him, he couldn't tell if he wanted to punch you out of annoyance or hug you and cry and tell you he was sorry. As much as he hated to admit, he really only liked it when you were the one calling him by his first name. It sounded good coming from you, and he longed to hear you say it more often... but his stubbornness had gotten in the way of this realization.

"I wish I could tell you why y/n." he said after a long silence. You weren't sure what to answer with, but you didn't have to worry about that when he started talking again. "I don't know how to treat you. You make me feel guilty. You make me feel mean. You think I'm kind but how can you say that after i've been nothing but rude to you." You were taken aback at his words. You had finally gotten somewhat of an answer from him, but you weren't sure what to do with it. How could you get him to like you when he doesn't even know why he doesn't? He looked away from you and it became silent once more.

His eyes widened as he heard small sobs and sniffles coming from you. He wanted to look at you and tell you not to cry, but he was afraid of the way he would feel seeing you cry because of him. "I'm sorry I made you feel that way Mikey... I didn't know... I'm really sorry." you said between cries. He wasn't sure what to say. You weren't supposed to be sorry. It was his fault. It was him who was supposed to be sorry.

Being the stubborn boy he is, he wasn't able to get a proper apology out. Instead, he grabbed your hand without looking at you and pulled you along with him. Your eyes widened at his action but honestly you felt a small spark of happiness at the fact that he was touching you without his usual remarks of disgust. "Emma's not home right now, but I have something to give you. So just come with me." he said with a blank expression, trying not to look at you. You gladly accepted and followed him to his house.

As you sat in the living room wondering what it was Mikey had to give you, you heard shuffling in the kitchen. Mikey walked back in with something in his hands. He stood in front of you and held a doriyaki out to you, still not looking at you. You were surprised. He had never once shared his beloved snack with you, or any snack for that matter. He sighed, "Take it already. It's for you."

"What about you? Don't you want it?" He looked at you in surprise. "I already have one just take it. I got it for you so be grateful."

Even though he wasn't giving it to you in the nicest way, you felt happy. He was trying. You smiled at him and happily took it. He sat next to you on the couch, feeling a bit flustered at the fact that you actually smiled at him. Him. Mikey. The guy who always threw insults at you despite your constant kindness. He finally had been the cause of your beautiful smile.

"Thank you, Mikey" you smiled down at the snack. Those words were the one thing he needed to hear to realize he wanted to hear them more often. Although, one thing was missing. He looked away from you with blush on his cheeks. "Manjiro. Call me Manjiro. I like it better when you say that." You were once again surprised by what he said. It was the first time he hadn't gotten mad at the use of his first name from you. Your shocked expression turned quickly to a smile. "Okay... Thank you, Manjiro." you corrected. You could have sworn he had smiled at those words, but you weren't sure as he was looking away from you.

You two silently ate your snacks, occasionally sneaking glances at each other. Then the door opened to reveal Emma and Draken, who both looked shocked at the view in front of them. "Y/N?!" "Mikey?!" "Sitting together?!"

"Sharing doriyaki?!"

"Are you sick Mikey?!" Emma exclaimed as she went to feel his forehead for a fever. He slapped her hand away. "No! I'm not sick, I was just giving y/n a snack..." He looked away from them, embarrassed, "Leave me alone! Just because i'm being nice to someone doesn't mean i'm sick..." he said. You all stayed silent until you burst out into laughter over his little fit. This caused him to go red in the face. "Hey! What are you laughing at?! I'll take back the doriyaki if you keep acting like that!" he yelled with a tomato face.

After your fit of laughter you wiped away the tears in your eyes. "I'm sorry Manjiro... Your outburst was just cute." you said still chuckling, causing him to go even redder. "Manjiro?" Emma said. "Cute?" Draken followed up. Draken and Emma both looked at each other with wide eyes as they realized. "Did you apologize and make up?!" They both exclaimed to Mikey. He looked at them and crossed his arms. "You could say that I guess..." with a hmph he continued, "I decided it was stupid to be rude all the time if she's a part of our gang." he then turned to you. "This doesn't mean we're exactly friends, so don't get the wrong idea!" he said out of embarrassment.

You giggled, "Of course Manjiro." you said with a smile. While it wasn't the most straightforward or ideal apology, you could tell he was trying... Which was the most you had gotten in 4 years. "I'll just have to earn your friendship!"