Chapter 9 - You meant that?

2005

"What are you doing here beanpole?" Mikey stared at Draken with his hands in his pockets and y/n standing next to him looking away. "I came to check up on Takemitchy. What are you doing here shrimp?" Draken replied, raising his voice. "That's funny, I came here to check up on my friend Takemichi, with my friend y/n." Mikey stated putting emphasis in his words. You stood there shocked at Mikey after he called you his friend. Of course he was only saying that to get at Draken, and you knew that, but it made you slightly happy nonetheless.

Of course, this did not make Draken happy. "What do you mean your friends? Takemitchy and y/n are my friends. Right guys?" he said, leaving Takemichi unsure of how to answer and you attempting to avert the gaze of the two boys. "Um no. They're my friends. Right guys?" Again, you two didn't have an answer for them. "Stop acting like that you guys! There's no reason to fight!" Takemichi yelled only to be picked up by the collar by Draken. "What'd you say?" he said, angered. It went silent as you all watched Mikey walk towards a bike and pick it up without any words. "Manjiro... what are you doi-" You were cut off as he attempted to hit Draken by throwing it.

"Oh! So that's how it's gonna be?!" Draken yelled as he dropped Takemichi and broke a bat over his knee to throw back at Mikey. The two continued to throw things at each other until, "Enough!!" Takemichi screamed, causing everyone to look at him. "Do you have a death wish?? What are you doing?" you said worriedly. Takemichi then attempted to punch Mikey but he swiftly dodged it, causing him to fall into a pile of garbage, which he quickly got out of and continued to yell.

"Do you two even think about the people around you!? How do you think others feel when you fight like this!? How about y/n?! If she's really your friend, have you stopped to think about how she feels when you two put her in the middle of your stupid fight?!"

"Takemitchy..." Mikey started. "No! Just leave! You've done enough." he responded. "But... this whole time, you've had dog shit in your hair." Mikey finished his sentence holding back his laugh. "Ew! Wtf!" he yelled as he brushed the shit out of his hair. "Quick Kenny! y/n! Run before the shit gets us!" he laughed pulling the two along. "You guys won't leave me right?" Takemichi asked as his group of friends were already on their way to following the three Toman members. "Sorry Takemitchy! You stink!" they yelled running away.

"Haha! Your hair really stank Takemitchy!" Mikey laughed while laying down on the steps at the park. "I know! I washed it okay?" he replied. "So why were you two even fighting?" he asked the Toman commanders. "Forgot" They replied at the same time, causing you to laugh. "You guys really are dense sometimes!" you smiled. Mikey then got up and looked at Draken. "You know Kenny, you were right. Pah made the decision to go and I should have respected that. I'm sorry." he said. "No, I'm sorry Mikey." he replied.

Mikey went to join the rest of the boys playing soccer as Emma and Hinata walked over to the three of you. "Hey Emma!" You yelled giving her a hug. "Y/n!" she returned it with a smile. She gave Hinata a little push and whispered "Go on, ask him!" "Okay... Takemichi..." she started. "Hina wants to know if you'll go to the festival with her on the 3rd." Emma finished for her. Of course, Takemichi accepted, earning a smile from Hinata.

"Hold on, did you two make up?!" Emma said surprisingly. "Yeah? What about it?" Mikey said nonchalantly bouncing the ball on his head.

'I've saved y/n, and Draken and Mikey aren't fighting... which means i've succeeded!'

    To your surprise, Mikey wanted to walk you home. he said he had something 'important' to talk to you about in private. You two were walking in silence until he cleared his throat. "I'm not really good with these things, so please forgive me if I come off as rude.." he said causing you to look at him curiously. "I never got to tell you thank you for protecting me... so thank you y/n." he stated. You were taken aback by his thanks since you would never expect him to be grateful to you. "Of course Manjiro... Like I said you're my frien-" "But!" he cut you off. 'of course there's a but, he doesn't see me as a friend. i forgot.' you thought, waiting for him to continue. "I don't want you to do that again. Even though I appreciate it, it's not fair for your life to be taken in the place of mine. As the commander of Toman that should be my job..." he trailed off, "Like I said earlier at Takemitchy's house, you're my friend, after all." You stopped walking in shock, and bitch left him confused. "You meant that? I thought you were just saying that to get back at Draken" You replied.

    "Well if you're going to respond to my friendship like that, then I take it back!" he said embarrassed. You laughed at his small outburst. "No! No! I'm sorry Mikey, I'm very glad to be your friend." You said to him with a smile, causing him to blush the tiniest bit and look away.

    "Yeah yeah whatever, let's just keep walking" he said, continuing to look away as you followed him contently to your house.