Mary's Plan

After that day, no one was the same. Natalie was quiet and almost nonverbal, Luna was stiff and somewhat cold, and Mary was getting increasingly overprotective. She knew that the Littles weren't doing well, and that they needed to get out of the house, but last time that someone besides her had left the house... It hadn't ended well. Mary sighed, knowing that she had to do something. She knew that if Natalie didn't get her mind off Renee, that the blond would try to stay under the table and never come out, just as she had apparently done when her father had passed. She knew that Luna's constant whimpering and sensitivity to light and sound was because they hadn't been Little in days. Mary knew that she needed to take some time to herself to pull herself back together. She had an idea. She pulled out her phone, calling Loba.

"Mary! I was getting worried! I heard what happened- are the babies ok?" Loba asked from the other end, anxiety and relief flooding over her simultaneously.

"That's the thing. The wee ones... They aren't doing well. Loba, dearie... Could you take them for a while? I know they're hurtin'... And they need to get away for a lil' bit, so that they don't feel like they have to be strong for me," Mary explained.

"Of course they can... How long do you think you need? A couple weeks?" Loba asked.

"I was hopin' that I'd be able to sort everythin' out in one week-" Mary started, before being cut off.

"2 weeks minimum, Mary. You know that I've... Lost close people before... Please, you need more time than that. They need more time than that. We can take them for as long as you need," Loba said tightly.

"Right... Of course. I'd say maybe... A month then," Mary said.

"Of course. Give us a day to get the guest room set up, alright?" Loba asked. "It's gonna hurt like hell not having them around, but you will always be welcome to visit. I just don't want them getting taken away from you because you aren't able to handle them."

"I know... Thank you so much, dear," Mary said softly. 

"Of course, beautiful. Get them packed up a bit. Anything they need for a month's stay, make sure they have it," Loba reminded. "Want me to make you a checklist?"

"That sounds lovely, thank you," Mary said, thankful for Loba's quick thinking.