Chapter 7: Mermaids Don't Like The Taste Of Idiots

CHAPTER 7

MERMAIDS DON'T LIKE THE TASTE OF IDIOTS

Of all the ships the old man could've chosen to stowaway on, he chose the Ocean's Doom.

Isaac pinched the bridge of his nose to hold back his frustration.

The old man, who went by the name Obed, had apparently been an inventor and had been blackmailed into assisting a band of pirates with special mechanisms that aid them in their raids. Having nothing new to offer, the Pirate King had requested his only daughter as a means of compensation but Obed wasn't willing to hand over his beloved Kadi to a horde of filthy pirates.

"You made deals with the Pirate King?" Captain Callista asked him with a menacing glare, the likes of which could make any man quake in his boots. "How could you be so stupid?"

Isaac didn't exactly know who this Pirate King was but it was clear from Callie's tone of voice that he most definitely wasn't a man you'd want to cross paths with.

Obed lowered his head, tightening his hold on his daughter.

"They had already destroyed my village and killed my sons.  It was the only way to protect Kadi... but now I cannot because I have nothing more to give without having guilt eat at my conscience for helping those filthy scumbags." He looked pleadingly between Isaac and Callie. "I beg of you. Grant us this chance aboard your ship to wherever you make port and we shall make it on our own from there."

It was difficult to deny the man without feeling some sort of sympathy. And his child, shy and silent, sat next to him with all the innocence of a newborn kitten.

"I can't guarantee your safety, Obed," Callie replied, voice softening. "This is a dangerous voyage ahead and I'm quite certain the Pirate King will stop at nothing to get what he wants from you."

"I am aware of the dangers at sea. I have studied most of the folklore and myths surrounding these waters and I'm more than willing to —"

The captain cut him off by raising a hand. "Yeah, yeah. You can travel with us." She said, earning a shocked look from the prince beside her. "But know this; one wrong move — give me one reason not to trust you — and you'll wish you had never chosen The Ocean's Doom as your escape vessel."

Having said that, Callie strode out from the brig and left Isaac dumbfounded for a moment before he followed after her.

"What was that?" He asked in outrage.

She simply gave him a quizzical look. "He would still insist on staying and I really didn't wish to argue much longer with the man."

"They could lead pirates right to us," he stated and crossed his arms while glaring daggers at her. "He could've made that whole story up, you know?"

Callie nodded. "I know. But I feel he's telling the truth. And besides, you would be doing him a favour and he could provide an extra hand with the crew. Perhaps his daughter could be put to use too. We're bound to cross pirates some time given my reputation anyway."

He pondered this for a moment. "Alright, alright. You have a point there." He sighed and shook his head. "I can't believe I'm actually listening to you. But next time, don't go making decisions like that without my consent." he huffed.

"Aye aye, Captain," she grinned, giving him a mock salute.

Well, well. Getting along, are we? An annoyingly familiar voice snickered.

It was times like these that Isaac wished Osyren had a physical body in order to wring his neck. Alas, he was cursed with his dragon spirit until he got the sword from the Reched Isles.