Chapter 1: All Aboard The Ocean's Doom

CHAPTER 1

ALL ABOARD THE OCEAN’S DOOM

A soft breeze blew salty sea air towards the shore as people hustled and bustled around the docks. Seagulls flew overhead without a care in the world and the morning sun shone brightly from behind white, fluffy clouds. It was the perfect weather for sailing, or at least good enough to sail immediately for a certain anxious prince scanning the docks for a specific vessel.

“This is Grain Harbour?” Aurora, one of the prince’s lady knights asked, eyeing the few inns and random crewmen loading and unloading the cargo of their ships. Some of the men with questionable character looked her up like a fresh piece of meat and she internally shuddered, hand automatically going to the hilt of one of the swords strapped to her side.

“Worry not,” Isaac assured her. “Once I locate the vessel then we can be on our way and not have to worry about those stares.”

Hurry up then, a voice that could only be heard by Isaac spoke. Find the ship so we can go on an adventure already. I’m starting to get bored.

“Osyren, will you be quiet?” The young prince replied in exasperation.

“You know,” Raine, the other lady knight accompanying him said. “Even though we’ve been travelling for days, I always forget that you have a dragon spirit in your head and it looks so funny when you talk to yourself.”

How many times have I told you not to speak out loud? Osyren, the aforementioned spirit snickered.

Isaac sighed in defeat. Almost three weeks had passed since the Festive Moon, the night which he had distinctly heard Osyren’s call and gotten himself bonded to the dragon spirit. He didn’t know how or why and Osyren annoyingly changed the subject whenever he asked.

The whole point of this dangerous voyage was to find the legendary sword of Alexander which Osyren had revealed to be in one of the caves on the Reched Isles – the home of the very dragons themselves.

Of course, Prince Isaac didn’t know what he was up against, but apparently the sword was what was needed to defend his kingdom from whatever evil was about to be inflicted. And if finding it meant getting rid of Osyren then that was just an added bonus.

“Hey, what’s the name of the ship anyway?” Neil, the unnaturally attractive knight asked, as he stared out in the distance.

“The Ocean’s Doom,” Isaac answered his best friend. “Do you see it?”

“Pretty sure that’s the one,” he pointed to where a massive, dark-skinned man was beckoning them. “Ram sure found it fast.”

“Great,” Aurora sighed. “Let’s go,”

They met Sir Victor Ram by the ship and the bird that was perched on his shoulder was fast asleep. It wasn’t any ordinary yellow-feathered bird, oh no. It was a swift-gust – the fastest bird ever in existence. And it could talk.

Coming closer, they marvelled at the ships size and craftsmanship. Three masts stood proud against the blue sky, sails rigged expertly to keep the ship at bay and not be swayed by the wind. It was an impressive vessel – undeniably armed for battle and strong enough to get them to their destination. Hopefully.

“I have taken care of the horses, Your Highness,” Ram said, his voice an intimidating baritone. “And this is indeed our ship.”

“Good work, Ram,” he answered and started to walk up the gangplank.

If anything, the deck was even more impressive. Captain Callista Morgan must really put her men to work when it comes to maintenance as everything seemed to be in order.