Chapter 2: 'Twas A Dark And Stormy Night

CHAPTER 2

‘TWAS A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT

The sound of a horn alerted all aboard the Ocean’s Doom to face the Quarter Deck, where Captain Callista Morgan stood at the helm.

“Right, everyone,” she began, loud enough for all to hear. “I am the Captain of this vessel and it is important you obey my orders unless you wish to be tossed overboard. First things first, we are not savage pirates, and so I expect you all to be sober and perform your duties wholeheartedly – there’ll be enough time for you lot to get wasted once we make port.

“Second, no one gets away with belittling or disrespecting anyone else on my ship – that includes trying to make passes at any of the women on board.” At this, she narrowed her gaze at the new additions to her crew.

“Finally, our mission is to get to the Reched Isles and back – nothing more. So that means we are on defence against whatever attackers we face, we don’t plan on starting sea wars with any pirates, but as long as they are Jolly Rogers, we do not strike first. I can’t guarantee all of us will make it back alive so if any of you are having second thoughts about this, the plank is over there.” Callie gestured to the gangplank and watched the slightly nervous yet excited members of her crew shift slightly in their positions.

No one moved.

“Excellent,” Callie grinned, her tone changing from serious to light instantly. “If any problems ever should occur, you’re all free to approach me or my quarter master Artemesio,” Arty who stood by her side nodded in confirmation and flashed them all a boyish grin. “Or even my boatswain, Jedediah,” Jed, the middle-aged man with dreadlocks, grunted next to Arty.

“Well, don’t just stand around staring at me,” she made a shooing motion with her hands. “Get to work, we’ve got a ship to sail.”

Soon enough, the Ocean’s Doom set sail, shore sinking further and further away from view and Captain Callista Morgan revelled in the feel of the wind blowing her short dark hair as she held on to the helm. Admittedly, she enjoyed the adventure that came with the job and the discovery of new cultures and lands but it did get a little bothersome at times.

Unlike most people, Callie didn’t have the luxury of one place she could return to and call home and life at sea was the only life she knew. With her late father’s reputation as a notorious pirate, she couldn’t very well stay in one place for fear of any of her fathers’ enemies were ever to find her. It wasn’t as bad now, since she had her own ship and crew, but that didn’t mean she’d let her guard down.

For some reason, most of the pirates thought she knew where her father had hidden his treasure. The rumours had started shortly after his death five years ago, when he and his entire fleet had been lured into a trap and ambushed. He had been trying to avenge her mother’s death, as his enemies had tried to break him by killing the woman he loved.

Callie wasn’t even sure if her father had even hoarded treasure, she had only sailed with him on a few occasions, learning all she could from him. Captain Henry Morgan was a fearsome man who also had been almost obsessed with finding out about myths, fairy-made artefacts and potions that could heal anything. Some he was able to discover and he used that knowledge wisely. Not once had he mentioned a secret location for treasure.